
Ok ladies and gentlemen, if you noted the calender adjustment, you know that there is an inner/outer circle discussion scheduled for Monday. The theme is: Why Do Societies Collapse? The rules of the activity remain the same. Remember, ten questions will be needed when you come in, complete with your answers. Also remember that only two of those questions can be basic knowledge questions, the rest must be higher level thinking questions. Because the documents are lengnthy enough, you only need to read one, and come up with 10 questions for that one document.
If your last name begins with A-M, please click on the following link (Records of the Grand Historian of China), and be prepared to discuss this document written by Sima Qian around the turn of the first century B.C.E. on Monday. [THIS IS A CHANGE! THE OTHER ARTICLE I PUT UP WAS A MISTAKE! I HOPE YOU GOT THIS CHANGE ON TIME].
If your last name begins with N-Z, please click on the following link (General Observations on the Fall of the Roman Empire in the West) and be prepared to discuss this document written by Edward Gibbon between 1776 and 1788 on Monday.
My suggestion would be to print these documents out and bring them to class with you on Monday. Cheers!
If your last name begins with A-M, please click on the following link (Records of the Grand Historian of China), and be prepared to discuss this document written by Sima Qian around the turn of the first century B.C.E. on Monday. [THIS IS A CHANGE! THE OTHER ARTICLE I PUT UP WAS A MISTAKE! I HOPE YOU GOT THIS CHANGE ON TIME].
If your last name begins with N-Z, please click on the following link (General Observations on the Fall of the Roman Empire in the West) and be prepared to discuss this document written by Edward Gibbon between 1776 and 1788 on Monday.
My suggestion would be to print these documents out and bring them to class with you on Monday. Cheers!

32 comments:
What am I going to do MR. Prill...I have a doctor's app. on monday and I'm missing your class. So how will I do the inner/outer circle??
When it says you only need to read one, does it mean.... one page or the whole thing until it goes to the next section?... tell me if you cant understand that lol
miss beck, just prepare your questions and answers and that will suffice.
mr. gopalakrishnan, you need to read the whole document.
Okay so we're doing the same old song and dance as last time? Inner circle discuss, outer circle takes notes, everybody's happy, everybody wins, except classical societies lose to nomadic peoples. Hurray for epidemic, and apocalyptic diseases, bringing about the end of classical civilization! How exciting! Also, did your voice give out by 7th period? (curious...)
"same old song and dance," yes. is that going to be a problem? hopefully it will be a bit more analytical than what you've described. the voice held up.
No, not a problem, I actually thought the discussion we had last time went rather well, and I look forward to what Monday has in store...
good deal. my hope is we pick apart some of the analysis you received, and make some links to 2008 in assessing where we think we are in the stream of time.
I do not have the sheet with me at home that tells me the different types of questions. Is there a way I can get that or should i just try to come up with harder questions?
k mr prill ill try and be ready! I have a lot of make up work!!! ahhh! i hate missing school. but i might have to miss another day this week cuz i have another test they have to run, joy. but ill see you monday.
Does the questions have to come from the documents or can they be related to the topic and still hit important information without using info from the document? Like ... How do you think the Romans could have dealt with their problems to prevent themselves from going downhill?
that's fine miss welsh, since it's still directly related. no problem!
miss kaye, here are the 6 levels of questions...
Knowledge
Exhibit memory of previously-learned materials by recalling facts, terms, basic concepts and answers
Knowledge of specifics - terminology, specific facts
Knowledge of ways and means of dealing with specifics - conventions, trends and sequences, classifications and categories, criteria, methodology
Knowledge of the universals and abstractions in a field - principles and generalizations, theories and structures
Questions like: What is...?
Comprehension
Demonstrative understanding of facts and ideas by organizing, comparing, translating, interpreting, giving descriptions, and stating main ideas
Translation
Interpretation
Extrapolation
Questions like: How would you compare and contrast...?
Application
Using new knowledge. Solve problems to new situations by applying acquired knowledge, facts, techniques and rules in a different way
Questions like: Can you organize _______ to show...?
Analysis
Examine and break information into parts by identifying motives or causes. Make inferences and find evidence to support generalizations
Analysis of elements
Analysis of relationships
Analysis of organizational principles
Questions like: How would you classify...?
Synthesis
Compile information together in a different way by combining elements in a new pattern or proposing alternative solutions
Production of a unique communication
Production of a plan, or proposed set of operations
Derivation of a set of abstract relations
Questions like: Can you predict an outcome?
Evaluation
Present and defend opinions by making judgments about information, validity of ideas or quality of work based on a set of criteria
Judgments in terms of internal evidence
Judgments in terms of external criteria
Questions like: Do you agree with.....?
Mr. Prill, since we are doing the inner/outer circle, do we need to read for a reading quiz on monday. pages 137-145?
as stated in another post and in class, the reading quiz is cancelled, you'll be responsible for that reading in a later unit.
Mr.Prill, I can't open the document on The Decline of the Han and Roman empire. Is there any way you can email it to me?
mr. gaultney... try it again. the document i originally had up there was the wrong one.
That sounds easy enough.
I'll be ready! haha
Is the first document supposed to be the same one as the nomad post directly above this one?
yes mr. livaditis, it's posted twice because i wanted everyone to read it eventually, not just half of the class.
try it now mr. yi... i changed it into a weblink to a site, you should have no problem now.
So I've tried opening the document on han china twice now, once saturday and once today, and it still won't open. What should I do Mr. Prill?
do you have the latest version of adobe acrobat reader? that would be version 8. try to download that first. that should do the trick.
woah woah woah...what are the 6 types of questions? I was not in your class for the first one. I just made up questions from the document. Did I do it wrong??
in the first article when it says that if the dad dies the son marries the step mom, does that mean that all the families had step moms or were their step moms not the same as we consider them today?
miss gustufson, look at my comment near the top where i lay it all out.
Alright, thanks Prill. I read the first and part of the second page from the newest topic but couldn't stand to torture myself with the other 5 1/2 at the time. But now I should read them and conduct questions. See ya Monday!
miss carroll, in a pastoral society, it would not be uncommon for a man to have more than one wife. therefore, if the man died, it would not be uncommon for a wife to take on as a husband one of her husband's sons that was not one of their's together. does that make sense?
I'm glad we can print out the documents, it's more convenient and for those of us who can't find time to do it, we can find spare moments in our schedules to work on it. Like, say, if you're too busy playing Guitar Hero...hypothetical of course.
i'm confused as to why not, it's just a simple weblink...
at any rate, just type this in your browser then...
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/gibbon-fall.html
everything
Mr.Prill, i tried sending you an e-mail but it just kept coming back to me. But i was out today because i got food poisioning, yuck, but i have my questions all written out for the inner/outter, is there anything else i need to do for missing the discussion?
nah, just turn in your questions miss grady. hope you feel better.
Post a Comment