Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Any Questions On Tomorrow's Test?
I'm opening the blog this evening for any questions that you may have, so feel free to use this to work with each other in helping each other out. I will be away from my computer for a little bit today, so opening leaving it open without moderation, so as always... PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL COMMENTS THAT ARE MADE ARE APPROPRIATE! Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

171 comments:
I have a question about Persia on the study guide.
What exactly does it mean when it says "the persian plan for administration" ? I can't find that anywhere in my notes...
oh wait i think i have it. is it the "achaemenid administration" ?
The Achaemenid Empire is the first Persian empire from Cyrus to Xerxes.
So i think it wants us to understand the toleration the Persians had and their beuracracy in form of satraps. Each satrap was ruled by a satrapy, but everyone under a satrapy was local, so locals felt like they had a say in their government. Everyone was swell.
Okay thanks. What about comparing the Persians to Han China?
i'll answer that miss fritz... the big deal here is you have two oversized empires that deal with management in a similar way, they put power in more people's hands. in persia, the 23 satrapies, in china, the large bureaucracy.
what do we need to know about greek colonization and socrates, plato, and aritsotle?
I have a question about who Ashoka Maurya is. I know he was an Indian leader of some sort, but what did he do?
Ashoka Maurya was known for promoting Buddhism. That's all I basically think about when I think of him.
does anyone know WHY the silk roads were important to integration. I know they were, but not why.
well... what kind of integration are you thinking about>?
Well, trade is always going to lead to integration. Along the silk road, cultures came through with the materials passed along. It was important to integration among all the classical societies, as well as within an empire because empires traded inside themselves, too.
the silk roads, although no one person made the trip from one end to the other in one trip, linked for the first time rome with china essentially. for the first time the entire eurasian continent is connected through trade. the silk roads, therefore, became an early engine, and really the main engine during this time period, of globalization.
it was mostly cultural and religious too because it led to different religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity to spread to distant lands
claro que si! i think that covers all the main points.
Roman Engineering? I can't find it.
I'm pretty sure Roman engineering just has to do with the aquaducts and water supply system, and how it united the empire.
Roman engineering is talking about the road systems, bridges, and aqueducts.
does anyone wanna help me?
i got checked out one day and i missed everything on Cyrus and the Achaemenid administration.
The spread of hellenism. Thats the spread of greek culture right?
The Hellinistic culture is the Greek culture.
Yeah the hellinistic empires were influenced a lot by the Greek culture. The Greeks called Greece Hellas (or something like that) and thats where hellinistic comes from.
Sean
The Achaemenid Empire is the first Persian empire from Cyrus to Xerxes.
So i think it wants us to understand the toleration the Persians had and their beuracracy in form of satraps. Each satrap was ruled by a satrapy, but everyone under a satrapy was local, so locals felt like they had a say in their government. Everyone was swell.
um i have a question about the study guide.. i have no idea what you mean by Significance of Paul of Tarsus, Significance of Constantine, Significance of St.Augustine.. i mean i get that we need to know whats important about them, but i dont even remember their names being mentioned, can someone tell me what theyre important for?
The spread of Hellenism was largely due to Alexander, remember how he conquered Peria? This spread Greek culture, even when his empire split in three the Seluculids were part of the Hellenistic age.
Hope that helps...
Just making sure.
oh thank you alec
Hey does anyone remember the "specific characteristics for the fall of Rome, China, and India"? I know rome's fall was a lot more complicated than China's but what else do we need to know about that?
I know that Paul of Tarsus and St. Augustine had to do with Christianity. I am not sure what constantine had to do with. On the reading quiz we took, it asked: Christian thought was linked platonic philosiphy through the work of:
Andd the answer was St. Augustine
St. Augustine syncrinized or changed Christianity to make it fit more with Greek ideas, especially Platonism (Plato's ideas)
Constantine legalized Chritianity.
Let me look up the other one real quick.
St. Augustine was the main developer of the philosophical part of Christianity
Paul of Tarsus spread Christianity beyond the Jewish community
Constantine was an emperor of Rome who made Christianity legal through the Edict of Milan
Cyrus laid down the foundation for the first Persian empire, or the Achaemenid empire. He built an empire from India to Egypt, his son Darius was the greatest Achaemenid emperor, creating the largest empire of the time. Darius centralized administration, built a new capital at Persepolis. They used 23 satrapies, performed checks on the satrapies to make sure they didn't revolt, and used spies. Darius regularized tax levies and built good roads.
paul of tarsus was a zealous missionary who converted many sects of Judaism to Christianity
the huns basically took down all three societies, right? China, india, and rome?
I think the fall of the empires are largely for the same reasons, disease, unnable to get taxes to fight and build a military, poverty, and foreign invasions, unequal distribution of land, and regionalism.
Rome fell because of the decline in trade, population and the poor leadership. trade declined because of the unsafe roads, poulation delcined because of disease and they had 26 emperors in 50 years which made rome unstable. also when they split the empire in two and moved it west, it left rome wide open for nomads to attack.
Han China fell because of the fragmented government. And it really turned bad when the rich people had control of the government and made it so they didnt have to pay taxes. meaning the peasants and common people had to pay all the taxes.
and i dont remember anything about india's fall??
not by themselves, of course, but from the outside, they were affected all three?
Rome fell because of social tensions and due to the people who fled to Rome for safety turning on Rome. The Visigoths even sacked Rome.
China fell by social tensions. There were land distribution problems. The Yellow Turban rebellion occurred. The government was corrupted.
I'm not exactly sure for India, but I think the Gupta invaded them.
I think it was the Xiongnu for the Chinese
the Gupta was India Melanie...
ok. but the visigoths were brought by the huns to rome, if i am not mistaken. and I tihnk that Gupta was the name of the indian civilization..... Gupta India. But i am not sure how india fell.
It's definitely not the Xiongnu. The book says the main reason China (Han) fell was due to large internal problems.
Sorry! I meant to say the Gupta were invaded. My bad. :P
The Gupta were invaded by the Huns, and they didn't have a strong centralized government, thus they were very regionalized. That's all I have in my class notes.
they did have internal problems but they were defeated by the Xiongnu. and the Xiongnu did cause some of the problems
Yeah Alex you're right about the huns. They invaded Rome, the white huns helped bring the collapse of India and the Xiongnu (distant cousins of the huns) led to China's collapse.
Remember the Yellow Turban Rebellion? Can someone tell me about it. I forgot about it.
who knows anything about persian society and ecomomy?
All i have about the Yellow truban rebellion is that it happened in 184 CE and it extremely weakened the Han gov.
The Yellow Turban Rebellion happened after the epidemics started taking their toll. It says it was easily suppressed, and the first rebellion.
Most of the grain came from Persia and Egypt!
I think someone said earlier that Darius was the son of Cyrus but actually he was the grandson. Cyrus' son was Cambyses. I don't think he was that important though because all I have in my notes is that he helped extend Persia further into Africa.
Sean cheack out 168-173
oh nice
One thing about Persia's economics was that it had a tax system. Anyone remember anything else?
I was the one who said he was the son. I'm sorry, my brain doesn't function 100% after eight. :P
Yeah, there wasn't a lot on Cambyses so I just mentally skipped him.
Yellow Turban Rebellion stemmed from disease, too. It happened after a significant amount of people died from it.
It says Persia had a standardized coin system. Agriculture was their foundation of the economy, and they had a lot of long-distance trade.
im reading about the economics right now in the book and it says that agriculture was the economic foundation of classical Persian society.
Yeah it was cause of unequal distribution.
Persia rellied on agriculture.
It had a large popilation of slaves.
Some were owned by the state.
Like Melanie said the got crops from Mesop. Egypt anatolia and India
can anyone explain to me the Golden Age of Athens ? the cause and the decline?
the significance of Alexandria is that it was the new center for trade and ideas after Athens right?
There were 70 Alexandrias, I think. But I remember one of them was a very important port. That's all I can recall.
I think the golden age of Athens reffers to Pericles efforts to institute large building programs to employ the masses, and there were many craftsman and artists. This was the high point of the poleis.
I'm not perfectly sure on this, but since Alexander of Macedon established all of the Alexandrias, and Athens was popular after Alexander's kingdom fell into the Hellinistic ones, I don't think that they would be centers of culture above Athenian ones AFTER Athens.
Alexandria remember was in Egypt yet it was the center of the Hellenistic world after the fall of Alexander's empire.
but what causes it? and how does The GOlden Age decline? i was trying to look for it but it was too general . @_@
I think that the main alexandria is the one in egypt. Yes, it was like the new center of trade and government adn all i think
okay i have a question. I know the mandate of heaven was widely used in China, but did all the dyynasties use it?
wait, not government. Sorry.
I think what really brought an end to the golden age of athens was the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta.
I don't think that the mandate of heaven was used in all religions. Because, its not used in Christianity for sure.
I forgot what tyranny was?
I think a lot of the city-kingdoms used something similar to a mandate of heaven, otherwise there wouldn't have been such a problem with Christianity and Judaism.
Causes: reforms by allowing aristoc. to keep land and cancelling debts. let anyone have office if they had time. paid salaries to gov officials.
Delian League
Decline: Persian wars weakened it, Peloponesian war, rise of Macedonia
A tyrant is just a ruler who got his powers through an unusual or irregular manner.
mandate was specific to china.
In my notes i have that the tyrant in Classical Greece had the support of the people. It was the step after oligarchies. They were called tyrants because they got their power w/o a legal right to it.
I think it was sort of out of effect during han collapse, as many generals were claiming regions and being wiped out.
Correct me if i'm wrong
Anybody got anything on Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle?
Prill said that we were supposed to know that a lot of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotles' philosophies were based on humans, and what humans can do in the future. They basically had a lot of emphasis on man. I think so, at least.
weren't they all like philosophers?
And what exactly is an oligarchy?
Socrates, killed, was a student of Plato. Plato didn't believe in democracy. Socrates thought no evil could happen to a good man. Aristotle did a lot of astronomy, sciences. Greek philosophy was considered rational because it was based on human reason.
Socrataes' philosophy was to question everything
Plato had political ideas some of them were similar to confucianism but he was more skeptical
Aristotle believed truth only arrived through observation, virtue leads to happiness, and he believed slavery was needed
I think Oligarchies were governments where the people in charge were aristrocrats
check out 251-252
Phillosiphy central
An oligarchy is a small group of governing people.
yeah and the group of people were socially and economic elite
What about latifundia, i know it was the farms owned by wealthy Romans sort of like plantations
were both the greeks and the romans big slave societies?
i think so.
yeah i think so. Look at the Aristotle doc.
Latifundia also created loads of social tensions in Rome with the plebeians versus the patricians.
Oh yeah I forgot about Peblians.
the latifundia were conquered lands which fell into hands of wealthy elites who organized into plantations. and due to the pressure of latifundia farmers left the country and overpopulated the ranks of urban lower classes. but the latifundia led to the economic specialization of agricultural commodities which set stage for good trading.
Latifundias were also worked primarily by slaves. Both Rome and Greece were big slave societies. Sparta had 10 times as many slaves as citizens at one point and 1/3 of rome's pop. were slaves.
why were the major religions important during the decline of these civilizations?
were the romans the first to create the postal systems? or was that the Chinese?
I'm pretty sure it was the Persians that created the first postal system.
Jane, Christianity was important in rome and Buddhism greatly expanded into china via the silk roads. that's all i know of. i don't know if we need to know more.
For Postal system roads and pax romana check out pg 271
Did the Punic Wars Greece versus Carthaginians, or Rome versus Carthaginians?
wow, I was way off. Ok thanks.
I wasn't sure because on the srudy guide it said roman roads, postal system
Punic Wars= Rome vs Carthigians
Well the latifundias widened the gap between the poor and the rich, as Melanie said. The economy became based on the latifundias which were based on slave labor, so that sucked. In Rome the number of people becoming poor kept increasing because the money and power were only in the hands of few. The farmers that had small plots of land couldn't keep up with the big latifundias. That lead to a lot of poverty in general. The government couldn't help at all, so there was a civil war between those for a social reform and the conservative aristocrats. but the war didn't change anything. That's where Julius Caesar comes in with his social reforms. Then he sets up the the Roman Empire. But he isn't the first emperor, Octavian is.
wow that was late
It talked about Daoism becoming more popular and religious rather than philisophical
and i think Persia had first postal system but i think it wants us to know the roman one on pg 271
yeah that happpens after the collapse of the han dynasty right?
Octavian later became Augustus Caesar and he was the first "divine" ruler of Rome.
to be specific, the DICTATOR
How about political org of Roman Republic?
You had two consuls
elected by patricians
Senate
plebians could elect tribunes (very small amount in senate proportianally)
yeah after Han collapse
but the number of tribunes grew as time went on and they could veto some of the things that they ruled unfair.
Ok,I have in my notes that Julius Caesar used an army to take over Rome. But where did he get an army from?
the tribunes pissed the patricians off cause they could veto and there were more social tensions
lets just say that he was very rich because he sponsored lots of moneywasting events such as gladiator fights and etc...
so he had money to spend and if there was someone he didnt like.. he got rid of them because he had a big rep to protect.
he was a very popular guy promoting reform and change
He wasn't a general was he? I don't think he was.
he conquered Gaul which made him even more popular.
he was active in rmn politics
Jane are you talking about Caesar?
I think you're getting confused with Sulla who had the lists of his enemies whom he paid people for killing them creating mass hystaria.
thansk
Is it just us three left? If anyone is still here give us a sign....
Do you know when Prill gets back?
yeah its caesar ... we talked about it during certamen. all politicians tried to get rid of their competition so they have a greater possibility of succeeding the elections and gaining public support
i'm on board here now guys if you have any questions for me. it seems like you all are figuring just about everything out.
when did he randomly leave and take the filter off? well prolly not randomly but w/e
ooh never mind jus playin
What's the importance of Greek colonization?
Sreaping Hellinistic culture?
Agriculture?
And Roman expansion
Counquered Etruscans and then Carthage creating huge empire the expanded from there.
Right?
I'm here alec. I was just reading through all the other comments :]
And just to be clear, the Plebians were the poor people and the patricians were the rich?
Also, what was the "signifigance" of the punic wars. And i know this sounds stupid, but who are the Carthigans?
I don't remember much about the collapses of Han China, Gupta India, and Rome and how they are unique. Han china had governmental problems and Xiongnu invasions, right? And Gupta India was way too decentralized. Rome was basically like China, but much worse right? Because they had way more invasions and way more political instability, right?
Also, didn't the greeks need the colonies because there wasn't any good farm land in greece, so they colonized for agriculture
the Carthaginians were fighting with Greece over Sicily because it was a really rich fertile land
I think han was worse it was done, gone...
Roman empire existed as Byzantine so the east was saved in a sense.
Basically in Rome there was no government power, they had i think 26 emporers in 50 years, and they split in half. And, they had a lot of invasions because all the invaders were running from the Huns
greek colonization caused cultural diffusion and brought in trade. that's the main stuff i had written down.
well the one i don't really remember the most is gupta india
Can anyone tell me the significance of the Huns
I'm working on the study guide and drawing a total blank.
i had meetings all this evening, that's why i just opened up the blog... umm...
the big deal on greek colonization is (1) obviously this spreads western culture throughout the mediterranean, and (2) this will increase the economic power of the greek world
you've got the main points on roman expansion mr. livaditis
mr. shah, you've got the main points on the collapses
we didn't cover India recently, did we?
And the signifigance was that they brought the collapse of the Roman Empire
they brought about the collapse of the classical period. The white Huns brought down India. The Xiongnu (cousins) brought down Han china. The Huns also invaded Rome, and cause other nomads to invade Rome as well, because they were running from the Huns.
Prill, I'm putting the envelope in book bag right now.
umm... india doesn't remember how gupta india. to put things into perspective, keep in mind that the guptas pretty much allowed regional autonomy (hence the problem with weak central gov't). so basically, imagine sitting in your office in pataliputra during the year 535, and an email comes across your screen (yeah, i know, no computer. just play along) that says "gupta emperor deposed, gupta empire collapses." more than likely, you just look at the subject line, hit delete, and go on with your day. essentially, india feels it the least when it comes to the falls of classical period government.
aww sweet i found my fall of classical civilizations notes
thanks, also the Roman Policy towards religion...was this just the Christians being persecute or am i mistaken
Gupta's collapse was due largely to fragmentation.
i this because the government was already basically gone?
the roman policy toward religion was generally one of toleration. christianity is an exception, and even then, it was only a few emperors that came after christians.
I feel pretty confident.
Good night. Good luck.
Thanks guys, good luck
The Romans were tolerant of different religions. They didnt care as long as you: 1)paid taxes, 2)didn't rebel, and 3)revered the emperor as god. That's why the Jews were persecuted in Rome. Judaism is monotheistic and it doesn't allow them to revere the emperor as god. That made the Roman government mad. Also, some Jewish people just refused to pay taxes. Some rebelled. In 70 CE there was a massive uprising. Rome crushes them and destroys Jerusalem, causing the diaspora.
I find this a really effective way of studying.
not too many distractions and rather than bonding with your books you talk to people and hit the books to answer other people's questions.
good night.
Are the economic issues at the end of the Classical Period that there are no governments left (well except for the Byzantine) and it was no longer safe to trade causing trade to plummet?
anybody here?
that's the big story of the day, the fact that the roads darn near shut down.
all right, cool. thanks. see ya tomorrow. night
IM here.... havent posted, just readin...
guess im too late... everyone is sleeping.....darn o well goodnight...
hey...just got home from the freshman- JV football game like 30 minutes ago...(both teams won against S. Forsyth)...and i dont have a whole lot of time to study... so i read over the conversations that have been taking place...and i just wanted to say that they have helped me a lot!!!thank you so much, i hope that i do well tomorrow???? crossing my fingers!haha!!!...well good luck to all!!...and if any football players are on and are freaking out about the test tomorrow (Like me), since we never have time to study, and want to help, please do!!!
Im here still... i feel like i never sleep so we can ask eachother questions if anyone atill here.
I missed the talking study session on here! but ive read all morning!! thanks 4 the help everyone!! :)
Ahh I couldnt log on last night but i kept up with everyones conversations... Thanks a ton to everyone! This really helpd me study/clarify certain points I wasnt sure of.
thanks i think every question i had every body pretty much answerd and i couldnt remember the website last night to get
reading this last night and before the test in 2ed period really helped! thanks!
lol "disillusioned"
i love that word!
-Linh!!!!!
Wow the test was unusually easier than i expected it to be. Im not saying i got a five or anything but i expected it to be nearly impossible to pass. Also I luv the grading system for our tests.
Um to Mr. Prill
I know the next season starts monday, what exactly will we be learning. Also is there anything i can do this weekend to prepare for a better understandment.
well, you do have your reading assignment.
Hey Mr. Prill....when did you hand out the new schedule for season dos??...is it up on the blog yet because I don't see it.
thanks guys fo these questions and asnswers! it helped me alot! i printed it out and used it as a study guide! thanks.
the september calender does have your reading assignment for monday's quiz (pg. 345-356)
Post a Comment