Ladies and gentlemen, I'm glad that you many of you have responded positively to what you have learned regarding the Persians so far. Believe me, we'll be discussing Persia and modern Iran quite a bit this year. I believe in all of my classes I at least mentioned that Iranian film is some of the most exciting film being created currently. Directors like Abbas Kiarostami, Jafar Panahi, and Majid Majidi have been some of the most creative brains in modern cinema, in terms of the originality of their stories and the beauty of their craft. By opening up your mind to Iranian film, you will be opening up yourself to a whole new world. I highly recommend you check out masterpieces like Taste of Cherry, The Wind Will Carry Us, Children of Heaven, or even the recent Offside, with it's theme of the role of women in a male dominated modern Iran through looking at football (soccer) events in that country. All of these films can be rented off of Netflix or Blockbuster Online. However, in addition to that, I would like to make you all aware of an exciting film series going on currently at the High Museum in Midtown. This month, the series Iranian Film Today is featuring some of the most exciting and challenging films to come out of Iran in recent months. Almost every Friday and Saturday night this month an Iranian film will be screened, and students will be admitted for only $6 with your student ID. To read more about this series click on the following link (Iranian Film Today). I hope those of you that are interested are able to make it to at least one film this month. I plan on going to next Saturday's screening. An easy and more environmentally friendly way of getting there would be to drive down to the Doraville MARTA station and ride the train to Arts Center Station. The museum will be right there when you exit the station. Again, I hope some of you can make it and enjoy a night on the town.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Experience Persian Language Film Now!
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm glad that you many of you have responded positively to what you have learned regarding the Persians so far. Believe me, we'll be discussing Persia and modern Iran quite a bit this year. I believe in all of my classes I at least mentioned that Iranian film is some of the most exciting film being created currently. Directors like Abbas Kiarostami, Jafar Panahi, and Majid Majidi have been some of the most creative brains in modern cinema, in terms of the originality of their stories and the beauty of their craft. By opening up your mind to Iranian film, you will be opening up yourself to a whole new world. I highly recommend you check out masterpieces like Taste of Cherry, The Wind Will Carry Us, Children of Heaven, or even the recent Offside, with it's theme of the role of women in a male dominated modern Iran through looking at football (soccer) events in that country. All of these films can be rented off of Netflix or Blockbuster Online. However, in addition to that, I would like to make you all aware of an exciting film series going on currently at the High Museum in Midtown. This month, the series Iranian Film Today is featuring some of the most exciting and challenging films to come out of Iran in recent months. Almost every Friday and Saturday night this month an Iranian film will be screened, and students will be admitted for only $6 with your student ID. To read more about this series click on the following link (Iranian Film Today). I hope those of you that are interested are able to make it to at least one film this month. I plan on going to next Saturday's screening. An easy and more environmentally friendly way of getting there would be to drive down to the Doraville MARTA station and ride the train to Arts Center Station. The museum will be right there when you exit the station. Again, I hope some of you can make it and enjoy a night on the town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I would very much like to go. Are the films in English, or have English subtitles, or do i need to learn Iranian.
the films are in farsi (persian) with english subtitles. you won't need to purchase rosetta stone. just bring yourself and enjoy.
I checked out the trailer for Persepolis, looks pretty cool.
Mr. Prill, as far as animation goes I suggest you check out Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke.
They are both excellent films, and are directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The composer for the music is one of my favorite, Joe Hisaishi; his music is awesome. The art and feel is very epic also. I am not really a fan of traditional Japanese anime, but I love most of Miyazaki's work. I was first introduced to his films when my uncle showed me Spirited Away.
What seperates Miyazaki from other anime and animation from all over the world is his ability to produce animated films that appeal not only to kids, but to adults to.
I think you'd love Nausicaa and Mononoke. This is because they address complex and very adult themes. They both have very important conflicts between man and man and man and nature.
Mononoke follows the story of a prince of a supposodely extinct clan in feudal Japan who is cursed and must go to the West to find a cure before he dies. It is a very thourght provoking and beautiful film. You'd really like it I think.
Nausicaa follows the story of a princess on Earth after a massive war that destroyed most of Earth turning it into a poison jungle where giant insects roam.
Check out the trailers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rtIcyqssA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhdFoTnPWMo
There are dubs and original Japanese with subtitles on the most current Disney published DVDs
Who knows, maybe you'd get a Mononoke or Nausicaa theory!
and symphonic suite for mononoke (very cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82QHiUvY5E
mr. livaditis... i'm actually a fan of miyazaki's work. spirited away, in my opinion is one of the greatest animated films ever created. i'm with you 100% on your opinions of him too. i also am not a fan of anime, but what miyazaki has made transcends the genre. i have also seen princess mononoke and like it very much. i haven't seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind so i need to put that on my netflix list. be on the lookout for his latest- ponyo on the cliff by the sea. no official release date in the states yet but it's slated to come out sometime in spring '09
Yeah, Ponyo's been released in Japan and got pretty good reviews.
His latest movie Howl's Moving Castle was poorly executed I think. It just didn't have the Miyazaki touch.
what time do we need to be there?
oh, and I'm a big miyazaki fan too, and I loved howl's moving castle, not as much as my neighbor totoro and spirited away, but I think it has more meaning than what you actually get from the movie.... sorry that was off subject.
I was also wondering which movie they're goning to show this week at the museum?
miss jennings... here are the details on saturday's show...
Unfinished Stories (Revayatha ye na tamaam)
September 13, 2008, 8 p.m.
Rich Theatre
$7 general admission; $6 students, seniors, and Museum members. Patron-level members, free.
Unfinished Stories comprises a trio of interwoven tales that explore the obstacles facing women in contemporary Iran. A lovelorn high-school student, a middle-class woman who's been thrown out by her husband, and the mother of a newborn find themselves alone on the freezing streets of Tehran.
(Iran, 2007, 76 minutes.)
In Persian with subtitles.
also, friday night there is a show. here are the details on that one...
A Few Kilos of Dates for a Funeral (Chand Kilo Khorma Baraye Marassem-e Tadfin)
September 12, 2008, 8 p.m.
Rich Theatre
$7 general admission; $6 students, seniors, and Museum members. Patron-level members, free.
Saman Salour's dark comedy about male friendship follows two men who tend a gas station on a little-used desert highway.
The Edinburgh Film Festival program praised it as "a gentle, at times laugh-out-loud funny and also surprisingly wise meditation on the vicissitudes of modern life, the Iranian landscape...and most of all, people's seemingly infinite capacity to drive each other crazy."
(Iran, 2006, 85 minutes.)
In Persian with subtitles.
which one is better.. sorry, but im not too familiar with iranian films...
i couldn't honestly tell you. i haven't seen either one yet. depends on what you like. i'd really like to see friday's screening, but i'm not able to make it to that one due to prior commitments. so saturday's film it is for me. they both look great in terms of subject matter though.
i usually don"t like foreign films but i read the plot on children of heaven and it seems really good. How Ali accidently gets 1st instead of 3rd and gets another prize actually made me laugh. I just might watch this one.
ooo this would be so interesting.... I would love to go, but i probably wont have a ride 8( and i know i cant go to the one tomorrow... i hope i can go to the other one!
hey mr.prill i lost my ap calender. do you know what our homework is today? and i saw spirited away, and i have to say that the japanese version with english subtitle is better than the english version. And do you have extra homework calenders?
Post a Comment