Friday, April 24, 2009

"Suspicion, Intolerance, and Mistrust are Driving Us Apart"

Queen Rania, the Queen of Jordan, is the epitome of the new generation of progressive minded, forward thinking political leaders that has emerged. The Queen of Jordan (who was born in Kuwait to Palestinian parents, earned her Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from American University in Cairo, and has worked for Citibank and Apple Computers in Amman, Jordan before marrying the then Prince of Jordan) is truly a global thinker without a doubt. Not only that, she is an incredibly eloquent speaker. I have to say, even though I have been a great admirer of hers since I was in high school, my respect for this stunning woman went through the roof this week as I heard about a YouTube channel that she launched taking on Muslim stereotypes one by one. Yes folks, the Queen of Jordan has a YouTube channel! NPR had an excellent story on this yesterday on the show All Things Considered and I just have to share (you can read and listen to the story by clicking here). No doubt about it, one of the unfortunate things that happened in this country after 9/11 was the wave of anti-Muslim propaganda that flooded our media and market. The amount of prejudice that I witnessed everyday with my own eyes was deplorable. The fact of the matter is that the VAST MAJORITY of Arab Muslims are not the enemy and do not wish harm towards the United States. There is a difference between being critical of a country and wishing that country harm folks, a huge difference. Below you can watch Queen Rania's Top Ten reasons she launched her YouTube channel (yes it is a knock-off of what Letterman does. globalization anyone?). This is phenomenal! One the one hand, can you see globalization written all over it? Second, it is so important that Americans move beyond the stereotypes and really take the time to understand the real world and how it spins. I do hope this class has done that for you this year. What Queen Rania is doing here is the reason why I became a teacher and specifically why I teach this class. Education is so key in this new world that we are entering. Thank you Queen Rania for taking the initiative to reach out to the world and instead of waiting for the world to reach out to you. I hope my students (young men and young women) will do the same thing and see you as a the role model you truly are.



28 comments:

Leeshah said...

This woman is a really powerful speaker and I think that she is right because we if we can connect as a world than we will cause suspicion to go down. Her reason for youtube is a very admirable thing because we are all connected to the world wide web we can see this video and make a difference.

Geena Kim said...

I actually saw this Top 10 corner on TV that night and thought about what her number one reason was about. After listening to the lecture in class today and watching that clip over, I really understood what all that was about. I really love how she speaks to people, she knows what to say and she goes right to the point. I absolutely agree with what she's saying. The world needs to open up their ears to these people in the Middle East and be able to talk to these people without the misconceptions and stereotypes in our minds. With more suspicion, intolerance, and mistrust, I think that there's going to be more wars and more conflicts.

Anonymous said...

wow, i really agree with what she had to say. people do need to broaden their horizon and see past their own little homes and worlds to meet other types of people that they normally wouldn't to seee what their culture way of thinking, living and everything is like because the more we know about others the better it is for the world, for our selfs to loss the ignorance and open up. and i think that when people leasrn about others p;aces and people they learn something about themselves also, so the queen rania total makes a point and is very right.

amber toy said...

Queen Rania is really a extraordinary woman.she's actually taking a risk by going out and talking about stereotypes,most things people take as a part of life.but in reality its not.her approach is very straight forward and i admire that.perhaps if more woman took part in this kind of work,the world would be a better place.

Electra Fox said...

I love what she is saying! She is right, but I think she is slightly idealistic. She really does just state the obvious (sorry for the cynicism). Like, for example, when she was talking about putting herself into the people’s shoes while wearing Prada (I have no idea if that’s what she was actually wearing, it just seemed to fit into the sentence). I doubt if her child were to fall ill she would lose all hope of ever owning her own home. I think everything she says is right, and I hope that her message spreads and sticks.

Alexandra Kaye said...

I love how Queen Rania is opening herslef up to people's questions about her country. She wants for everyone to get along but that won't happen because everyone stereotypes against other nations. I think that same happens to the United States, people only see certain aspects of our culture through tv and things like that and these things don't depict our society at all. That is basically what she said, that people saw her country through movies and things like that and they come away thinking that everyone from the Arab world. I think it's important that for nobod yto judge other countries based on a certain representation because that doesn't represent it all. If we have stereotypes we should get rid of them and form opinions about the country for ourselves by looking at many different sources with contrasting views instead of getting information from only one source.

Prill said...

quite true miss kaye. i think american culture, the real american culture (aka not what is depicted on mtv) is very endearing, dynamic, and interesting. i wish more people would get to see that america. hence the need for, as she stated, a dialouge. travel! travel! travel!

Thought said...

Mr. Prill I can't judge you. I like this woman too. She's being very open in answering the questions on stereotypes, terrorism, womens' rights, and many more issues that Americans are asking, or being told. She's doing a great job of clearing the reputation of the Arav World. She's certainly using her popularity to help make a difference. She's truly an inspiration for me personally, and many more people.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Queen Rania's persuit for positive change "one mind at a time"

I listened to her women's rights video also. I just wanted to say that i support her values and goals to make the world a more just, fair and equitable place. I hope that together, I, people like us, my country, you and your country can make a more noble difference. You are very inspiring.

Seeking Knowledge is mandatory of every Believer, be they male or female, Arab or American

Anonymous said...

Queen Rania is such a brave and powerful speaker. i felt like she was talking directly to me. and i agree with everything she has to say. that we should see the arab world unscripted with an open mind.... and the top 10 thing was hilarious!!

cori kempshall said...

wow, i never would have thought that a leader would use youtube to get a message out there. I guess i always just thought of it as a luxury. but when i think about it it can be used for many political things to help out the world. she is a perfect example.

Brooke Sapp said...

No test dicussion board or study guide? =[

Taylor Hammond said...

hey Mr.Prill i was wondering if the test tomorrow is on post berlin wall material?

Prill said...

be ready for anything from this last unit, but don't sweat it.

Brooke Sapp said...

Aghhhh. Awesome. too late i'm a wreck. lol.

Anonymous said...

this unit would be post-war china to series finale stuff right?

is the test a multiple choice or short answer?


aahhh...freaking out!!!

Prill said...

again, don't sweat it, don't freak out. notice i didn't give a study guide? could there be a reason for that?

Katelyn Niemann said...

Mr. Prill, I LIKE study guiids!!! what kind of short answer? Essay stuff or fill in the blank, or "this describes what region" stuff? true/false? Do I need to know exact dates? Names? or can I go with the general stuff like knowing Argentina's is in the best shape other than Mexico? or do I need to know the ruler's na,es, policies, etc??? FREAKING OUT!!!
is it in the same format as the map test we hade last semester??!?!?!?

Prill said...

ok, one more time... DON'T FREAK OUT... i didn't give you a study guide for a reason, i didn't put up a study post for a reason... it's not that i forgot, i didn't forget... i'll have a few questions for you and you'll have a few answers, which is what i tell you everytime someone asks... where's the trust?

Nicole Gustafson said...

Woah this woman is awesome! :D I'm a fan already. (And she IS very hot, Mr. Prill. lol) I hope much of the rest of the world could do as she is. "Suspicion, intolerance, and mistrust are driving is apart" is a very powerful message. I am glad some people are trying very hard to end it.

Katelyn Niemann said...

but PRILL!! i have 42 PAGES of CLASS NOTES post WWII!! so i'm assuming general, prob. an emp. on the current stuff. you are not my favorite teacher right now prill. grrrrr. i know, don't freak. i still don't like this!

Katelyn Niemann said...

okay, now for the comments on the videos.
idk what i was expecting, but it wasn't this. hwr 10 reasons were amazing!! i actually laughed out loud! and her message was so true! this is a great queen, one who puts herself at the typical person's level and gets the mesage across on an easy to handle way, not the typicall "woe is us" ans in a formal, boring way!!
go queen of jordan!!! woot!

oh, and prill, what's the scheduel for preformance finals? i know LA is mon and chem is thurs but what are the others? my teachers never told us(or at least my classes...).

Nicole Gustafson said...

oh, and Mr. Prill, that picture that I didn't take of you is not on the "Mr. Prill is the bomb diggity" group on facebook in case you didn't want to see its beginning of world travel via internet...

Ashleigh Stewart said...

She is a strong speaker who is going out and voicing her opinions on sterotypes and saying that people need to experience more of the world in order to judge or make misconceptions about other regions

The Odyssey said...

dang this lady is a very amazing and powerful speaker. she knows what to say and people understand her easily because she gets right to the point with out any misunderstandings.. i totally agree with her because us and the rest of the world needs to think about the middle east and listen to what they have to say

Monica Enlow said...

i love this lady. she says true things in a way that people can connect to. she's using globalization as a good thing. she's using it to try and help people overcome predisposed stereotypes and to understand each other. i think queen rania is marvelous. i admire her abilities to speak out in the global world and how she does it both eloquently and with humor.

MDG said...

Wow, powerful speaker. She really manages to connect to her audience. I like how she mentions how even though we're all connected (product of globalization), there are still stereotypes that separate us. What's the point of a more connected and integrated world if we insist on using stereotypes to justify our separation from one another and the animosity against each other. It's great that she's willing to answer any questions people have about her country and the Arab World to try to decrease the stereotypes and allow for countries to understand each other a little better. It makes for good communication in a world where communication is inescapable from globalization.

Spectre82 said...

Ha Barack Obama doesnt even have a youtube channel, does he. It doesnt matter. All that does is you know that globalization is happening when a queen has a youtube channel. Also she mimiced Dave Letterman.