Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu, Ahem... Influenza A Update- Concerning News Coupled With Some Comforting News

Ok, so here's your daily update. From this point, said virus will now be referred to as Influenza A (this is more of a human thing than a pig thing, and yes, you can still eat pork Paris Hilton). Now, yes, Influenza A has been confirmed in LaGrange, Georgia. Again, this is no reason to panic, but we just need to be aware. It is a 30-year-old woman, and she is currently in a hospital. She apparently recently came back from Cancun. Obviously, this will be something Georgians will watch, but let's listen to Governor Purdue, who has reminded us this is no reason to panic, and that it's an isolated case. You can read this story by clicking here. Ok, so the good news now. (1) The WHO is saying that for now there is no need to talk about or consider raising the pandemic threat level to 6. (2) Although there was a leap in swine flu cases today, most of these were suspected cases that are merely being confirmed now. Finally, (3) EU Health Commissioner Androulla Vassiliou has said a possible swine flu global epidemic, or pandemic, would not necessarily cause widespread deaths, and is urging Europeans to remain vigilant, but calm. You can follow that story by clicking here. You can also view the official word of the WHO on video by clicking here. Hopefully a cap can be put on this soon.

18 comments:

jessicafritz said...

This whole thing is way out of control. It's really stupid because if someone coughs, everyone is like "DO YOU HAVE THE SWINE FLU?!?" I just think that we need to figure out a cure if normal treatment for the regular flu isn't working and everyone can chillax.

KelseyBengochea said...

ok is it just me or does everytime there is something new (even if its controllable) it gets blown out of proportion due to press???? Like with the Bird Flu a couple years ago, the press made it seem like the world was ending and I see the same thing happening now. I understand its something to have respect and concearn for and all but do we really need to flip out and predict the end of the world????

Anonymous said...

we talked about the whole over reaction deal in class, and Prill said its not necessarily overreaction but its never a bad thing the over plan and expect the worst. Its not like we would close the borders because its already spread and it "may" only help out by 10%.. and i agree that its not overreaction, but it is something new and we dont know how to handle it just yet..

RachaelGarton said...

Yeah, I don't think its an overreaction at all. People are just nervous about this disease because its pretty new and we don't have much knowledge about it, or a vaccine to treat it with. I think people are freaking because no one knows exactly what to do. However, I think they will start to calm down once we get a little more experience with this strain of the flu. I don't think people are really predicting the end of the world, just keeping an eye out for a potentially deadly disease that the majority of the world's population has little knowledge about.

Abbi Edwards said...

yeah okay i think we are actually handling this well, because we are not freaking out but as Obama pumps 1.8 billin dollars into treatments, we are just being cautious. We shouldn't freak out, we should just be aware...

Geena Kim said...

I read articles about the Swine Flu affecting Korea just today, and they were stopping pig farms & stuff because of this flu! I thought it somewhat had to be from pigs or something, but after our discussion in class today, I find it so funny and stupid that people are closing down pig farms & thinking that it's all the pigs' faults. Poor pigs!

Anonymous said...

I really think that we aren't freaking out as much and thats good. it seems kind of scary but i guess we'll be on our toes until their's a cure.

Smurphy said...

Yeah, I agree with Rachael; it's not so much a freak-out, its just taking measures of caution. We are doing everything we can to conceal the disease, and all we can do now is hope it doesnt become an extreme epidemic.
But as far as the coughing/sneezing, yes. Making comments such as that just labels you as immature. It almost seems like bandwagon, so just dont do it! haha

madison archer said...

Its a little disturbing that there are now cases in georgia but it was only a matter of time before this happened. I definitely don't think people should be panicing though. They should just be cautious and wash there hands a lot.

Unknown said...

i think that we can have an epidemic without necessarily having wide spread deaths. i mean if it is already in different parts of the globe then its going to spread but it really shouldn't be an epidemic. i'm no expert at all but that is why i'm not freaking out. i guess i might if it starts to affect me personally.

Alec Livaditis said...

a case now in Hong Kong

MCDA said...

I just read that 141 peopel were sickened now in the US. While this is very scary considering how it multiplied so fast, there are billions of people in the world. I know this isnt just the average cold, but i do think that if a person just washes their hands and stay clean and stays away from people with symptoms of any flu, they should be fine. i think it's necessary to keep an eye on the news, but not freak out. that's my opinion on the swine flu.

Anonymous said...

This whole thing is causing so many problems. I'm glad that I understand what's going on now because of this class. It does help to know the difference between developed and developing countries. I see the relations that I never would
Have Seen Before this class. I do realize that this can be helped with our technology, but we have to think about those in places like Mexico. How can they be helped?

Macy Stucke said...

I think the whole thing is getting completely out of control. I understand that it is something that people need to be aware about and be a little more careful but people really need to stop freaking out. Like Obama said things are really never as bad as what they seem.

MDG said...

Swine Flu/Influenza A is just another strain of flu. It's not that big of a deal considering there's like what... 12 other strains of it already? I see people over reacting as well as taking this disease as some kind of joke. It really isn't something that people should be going around saying "We're all going to die from Swine Flu" like I hear some people saying. Like Prill mentioned in class, it's just goes shows the haves and have nots. A major reason it's even affecting so many people in Mexico is because their health care is not like it is here in the US. We have enough treatments to go around to make people get better where they barely have enough for a few. Although it's not something to be panicking about, we should still show some concern for hygiene, cleanliness, and good health, so we can contain and isolate this disease rather than just spreading it.

Trevor D. said...

It is only a sickness thats going around, wash your hands , don't drink after people, and be smart. No need to walk around in haz-mat suits. People need to stay calm. People are more dangerous than the disease

Ji Young Chung said...

AHHHHHHH i really hope they find a way to stop the media making the swine flu sound like the apocalypse. I know that we say it as a joke when someone sneezes and we say "SWINE FLU" but it makes you think twice. That "What if" thing. I mean I suddenly had a sore throat like 3 days ago and i knew it was a passing by thing but it made me think that "what if this is the swine flu" thing.

And another thing, when people in other countries get SI and actually die from it, why can't we help? We have the right medical services. I thought we are the "haves." I think we can help others, can't we?

The Odyssey said...

im tired of hearing that word/phrase... "swine flu". everyone freaks out about it but its not even thaty big of a deal.. we have good hospitals and treatment that can keep us healthy and not dieing