Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Do You Really Want to Make a Positive Impact???

As I graded the tests that you all took on Monday, I was impressed by how many people said that they truly want to dedicate themselves to a cause and make a positive impact. As impressive as this always is to hear, I find that our sense of urgency can quickly fade when we say we want to do things in the future. EVEN AS TEENAGERS, YOU CAN MAKE POSITIVE CHANGES IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW! Making goals is only half the battle. Now is the time for action. Now is the time to involve yourself in positive volunteer service, not just in our small community, but at global levels. Yes, you can be a global force for positive change right now. As so many of you have acknowledged, globalization has made the impossible possible, and globalization does not have to be a negative thing. Could you use globalization and the tools that we have before us to help children in Ethiopia learn how to read for example? Sure, you saw the World Bank's statistics on this blog last week that 68% of all Ethiopian women are illiterate. Gone are the days, however, that we look at such things and say: "Oh, that's too bad. I feel so lucky to live in this country." Now is time for action! In the words of Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." As I've said before, I'd rather fail trying to be part of the solution than succeed being part of the problem. I am glad to know that news organizations like CNN not only present the news but also give their viewers opportunities to explore solutions to the problems they see on the news instead of just shaking their heads and changing the channel. The program is called CNN Impact Your World. Students have asked me what they can do now to help those dealing with tragedy. Folks, if you simply click here, you'll notice there are a multitude of global volunteer services you can involve yourselves in right now, and that span the full range of interests, from refugees to poverty to health to natural disasters to children to the environment. If you find something you like, talk to me and I'll be glad to work alongside you in the trenches.

5 comments:

amber toy said...

actually I'm trying to work on a project now with my mother.after our Africa talk I think its much needed for a change.president Obama I feel,begins our path and its our obligation to finish what he's started.I make quote to that and plan in to succeed in my goal.

cori kempshall said...

im inspired mr prill. Im really gonna try, especially this summer.

Abbi Edwards said...

awww thanks prill!! this is cool and helps to know we can actually do something... :]

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr. P. This website was pretty interesting. I checked out last night and looked at it for about and hour or so. I really feel like my interest is the "Chilren" category. I've heard about most of the organizations except..."the girl Effect"...That's a cool organization right there. However I was disappointed to see that they didn't ephasize or even mention that girls (usually poverished) are really at risk for the sex slave. But what ever.
COOL SITE!

Anonymous said...

The website had a lot of really good ideas on there... I think I good one though, is to maybe sponsor a refugee/refugee family? There are a ton of refugees from the Iraq War that need help and supplies instead of living in random places and camps.