Friday, April 17, 2009

"Persepolis" Discussion Board

Wow! All I can say is wow! This is my third time seeing the film and i still find it completely riveting and emotional. For me, the methods that were used in telling this story were absolutely effective. And how great was it to get some background on the situation in Iran going into the film? It was good to see so a large group to see it on a Friday. So tell me, what are your reactions to Persepolis? Your thoughts...

14 comments:

Alina said...

ok...the film was...amazing...

like seriously, this was great. i loved the way it was done. it was comedic, but at the same time the more serious elements really hit you. i thought that it showed what was going on in iran in an amazing way, especially with how it showed it through a common person, and what's more a woman. also what i got from the film is how what happened there really can happen anywhere. like just so many of the things in the film just seemed so normal, like nothing out of the ordinary where we could say "psh we don't have anything like that." even if people argued that it couldn't happen because of the religion part, it really did make a statement on the treatment of women.

lol and the part with karl marx was just satisfying.

Anonymous said...

First of all Thanks Prill for having this movie! I liked it a lot. Exspecially the rebel grandma which represented the movies' no-nonsense feminism. I have a quesion...Is the jasmine flowers they used western influence? I think it was pretty cool that even with all the sstuff that happenes to her she stll has pride as an Iranian.

wasn't persepolis the Perisan capital building that was eventrually overtaken by Alexander the Great? Is that why they used te name to compare to what happened in Iran?

Prill said...

yes mr. edwards, very good call on the title! connecting our season 1 knowledge with season 5 eh?

not sure on the jasmine flowers, i'll have to research that.

glad you guys enjoyed it!

Thought said...

This is my second time watching this movie, however my first time that I understood it in its entirety. It truly is an amazing film, and does a great job of hitting all the emotional pressure points that a person posesses. I love these interesting parts and symbols of freedom and liberty. The grandmother was a very good symbol and it's interesting to see the reactions that Marjane Satrapi would get when they heard about the things she did. They thought it was wild, but for her and other people in France, it was just normal. I love the fact that it was a autobiography too, with a comic twist. It's very insightful, seeing Iran through her eyes. The tragedy, the romance, the violence. Simply Incredible, I want to buy this movie just so I can continue to watch it in the future.

Jordyn Farrell said...

I love how the movie was shown through the eyes of someone that was not in a high position. It was also very cool how it showed the female point of view on the revolution. And this is kind of random, but I really liked the music from the movie. And how they had all those guys that were selling illegal CDs.

Andi Braemer said...

i actually really liked it. i went into it thinking it was going to be kinda lame and not make sense, but i was completely wrong! it really had a great way of showing the changes in people, especially women, when the political power changes. and it was kinda funny at times.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED IT!! I too went into it thinking it was going to be really weird and bazarre....but It all made sense and really put everything we have learned for the past two days in context...a great visual!

I thought it was hilarious in some parts,yet serious in others. I loved that it was a woman's point of view...it made all the difference. It gave me a new insight on Iran becuase b4 Ap World, I was CLUELESS and completely ignorant about IRan!!

Question...Who was that guy in that scene where everybody laughed.....he was the guy with God in heaven??!?!I didn't catch that one.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED IT!! I too went into it thinking it was going to be really weird and bazarre....but It all made sense and really put everything we have learned for the past two days in context...a great visual!

I thought it was hilarious in some parts,yet serious in others. I loved that it was a woman's point of view...it made all the difference. It gave me a new insight on Iran becuase b4 Ap World, I was CLUELESS and completely ignorant about IRan!!

Question...Who was that guy in that scene where everybody laughed.....he was the guy with God in heaven??!?!I didn't catch that one.

Prill said...

yeah, that was karl marx

David Douglas said...

Great movie. I mean, it doesn't live up to To Live, but still it's a great movie. Although i imagine that for someone who has not taken APWH or someone who is uneducated in the subject wouldn't get it. It's all in how you perceive the movie.

Anyway, the grandmother was hilarious. Marji was awesome as a kid, and when she got to be a teenager, it showed the side of Iran that was the teenage rebellion. All in all, it was quite a good movie. Quite moving, as well.

Anonymous said...

Persepolis is an amazing. I loved how they added the comedy and showed some of just the life of an average person anywhere... like with her guy issues. the first one ended up gay, the second one cheated on her and still said the same line "This is not what it looks like... I Love You"(CRAP!) anyways The movie was great cause it showed the parts of the protest of the shah and how he went to the US etc etc. It demonstrated what you taught us in class. Oh and that grandma was AWESOME! she definitely was an amazing character that was perfect for the movie. All in all it was a great movie

RachaelGarton said...

Wow, I really liked this film. I loved the POV, because it was much easier for me to relate to than a textbook. It hit some very serious topics, but in a way that was (sometimes) comedic and easy to understand. It made me so sad how her mother banned her to come back to Iran at the end of the movie! Just to think that you can never come back, even if your mom is acting in your best interests, is still just mind blowing.
Overall, I really enjoyed this movie and wouldn't mind watching it again.

Lora Persyn said...

This film was amazing! The best animated film I've ever seen! The animation style allowed for comic relief, but at the same time it was perfect for those dramatic moments.

I didn't realize how much chaos there was in Iran at the time. They're right in the middle of a revolution when Iraq attacks! As if there wasn't enough death. People were having parties to try and still have fun, these people had illegal wine stores in their basements. It reminded me of the meth labs that people have today. Not to mention that the revolutionary soldiers are so young! And they were getting high positions in the gov. and stuff, like the window washer who now runs a hospital! It was a lot like the Chinese communist revolution. It made me mad when Marji went to Vienna and everyone just saw the people of Iran as people who just fight all the time. I also noticed that as the movie goes on (1979-the 90s) women are opressed more and more. After the revolution they have to start wearing veils, and can't even be out in public with their boyfriends or anything. I love how the last scene is just an audio of Marji talking to her granddaughter.

Andi Braemer said...

i just wanted to say this was on cable the other day. and i totally watched this instead of the hills.
talk about epic.