Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Series Finale is Here
















62 comments:

cori kempshall said...

9-11 was definitely an event that changed the way i look at the world. I was so young when it happened and made me think that some people in the world are just, evil. but now that we r going over it in class it makes a lot of since. Of course i still think its wrong but, I understand their anger.

Thought said...

Still completely nerve racking...I understand why it happened now, and it is a big issue that the United States must face, but still completely devastating...
This isn't the worst experience in human history, but it's certainly something very distressing...

B Sapp said...

This brings back my horrible third grade memories of coming home and seeing my mom crying and watching these news reports. I didn't understand so much then, but this is so much clearer now.
Sapp.

Henry A. said...

just watchinf the vids make me even more excited for the finale. it is a horrible time in history that will never be forgotten

Thought said...

Wow, just from the way Bush addressed the situation in his speech, you could tell he wasn't completely aware of the extent of the situation...Just listening to that I had one of those intense movie flashbacks where everything connects and suddenly it all makes sense...Actually to be perfectly honest, his words kind of set me off...I wasn't throwing things but they just struck me a little...Especially the part about "the worst of human nature" cause last time I checked, we've done some pretty despicable things, and I don't need to go into detail, since we all know what we've done in the past...

Ji Young Chung said...

I still remember this day. I was still in korea; my dad told me that the "twin towers are gone" i did not know what he meant becuase i really did not have much knowledge about it. But i remember having a moment of silence in my school.I knew that this was a really important thing.
Until this idea, i didnot know what was the cause for this terrible event. But now i know that one can't really point finger on another because everyone was the bad guy; there are no good guys, only the innocents. This was a horrible horrible horrible thing that happened; however, to some people U.S. is the bad guy just as we see them as bad. I think we should discuss things that we learn in World history with more objective mind.

David Douglas said...

these videos bring back so much memories of third grade. our teacher actually let us watch these, but I didn't understand what was happening at all, and i barely remember watching them. however, i remember the look of terror on my teacher's face, and of the face of my mother when i got home. It all makes sense now. Ignorance is NOT bliss. I just wish the whole of America actually knew why this happened. instead, they just view it as "a random act of terror."

On a side note, i found it interesting. While i was watching the video of the 2nd plane collision, I looked at the bottom of the screen. Stocks. It was interesting to see that the longer this went on, the further these stocks plummeted. One minute i looked and DOW was up 20.00, and the next minute DOW is down 80.00. It just shows how much our economy is impacted by acts of terror, and war in general.

parkthomas said...

i remember this. i think it was third grade and all the teachers were freaking out, gas pumps were overflowing with people panicing. I remember watching it with my parents wondering why the hell someone would want to kill that many people... now its pretty obvious.

Nicole Gustafson said...

Wow. Even knowing basically what happened, it is still just as striking to see this everytime. Every single one. Every 9/11 my sister and I go on a massive internet/youtube search to repeat videos and try to understand what happened. It is amazing how news reporters have to stay so calm. Even if I knew I needed to, still seeing these occur I would gasp in shock. One of my best friend's dad is a pilot and was flying route through NY. His plane was grounded in a random place like many others. Both of my parents worked in large bulidings here in Atl and were evacuated. I was never taken out of school. I remember, though, that there were only about 6 of us left in class that day, and we were never told what was going on.
It is very interesting about planes vs. bombs vs. both... It is interesting that even with denial or belief, we have eye-witness accounts at the moment of what they heard and saw, so that it will never be forgotten.

Kirsten said...

I remember that no one would tell me what was going on. Our teacher just said it had something to do with a plane in new york and when i got home my mom called me and told me not to turn the tv on. It makes me angry to think now that we weren't just informed. I'm glad that I finally understand WHY this happened, thanks to this class

Unknown said...

watching the videos reminded me of how devastating 9-11 was!! wen it happened i was kinda confused on why it had happened and never really got it, but now it makes alot more sense, especially since everything we have learned is leading up to this, and all the pieces are finally coming together.

Anonymous said...

Im glad I get to learn more about 9-11 because there are so many lies and false stories about why 9-11 happened. I asked my parents and they don't even know all of the story....

Is there a lot more to the 9-11 story is what we learned on Friday pretty much it...(Obsama Bin Laden hating the Us because the Saudia Arabian gov't preffered us over him...and because we broke our promises early when Afganistan was fighting Soviet union?? )

Prill said...

oh there's more

michelledemaris said...

the speech George W. Bush gave reminded me of the attitude of Churchill in World War II in refusing to give in to Nazi occupancy. Bush is addressing the strength and perseverance of the country, and that nothing can dent the foundation of America; very optimistic ans hopeful. which was essential during a time like this.

Anonymous said...

I was in Canada and in school they were talking about it. even if we were in canada, many parents were coming to take their kids home. when i got home and was watching on T.V what was happenong across the border, i was just shocked. i never knew that people were capable of doing these things. Now that we're going to talk about it, hopefully it will make more sense.

Katelyn Niemann said...

geez. i remember coming home and being thrown off guard because my dad was home befor i was. i couldn't understand what was happening, even after an explination. all i could think of is "why? that's mean!"
my little sister also watched the news u put up. she was born in April of '01 so she doesn't remember but i tried to tell her the basics of what happened and she asked me the same things i asked my mom... what makes me reall mad is the ppl who STILL think it's a random act with no reason besides unearned hate to us... can't wait for the finally prill!!

lydia huh said...

just thinking about what happened is still very disturbing. My dad was suppose to be at the towers that day for business, but his flight got delayed. it was a miracle that he wasnt there. I was young when it happened, and didnt know the full detail but the only thing i did know was that it was a terrorist attack. now i get to actually here the full detail and actually understand it.

angiem said...

i was very younh when 9/11 occured, but i clearly remember the exact moment it happened. where i was, who told me, what i was doing. there were so many dissapointing effects that came from it. Yet, i did notice, that after it occured, i could not help but notice the nation coming together as one, to help each other and make everyone strong again. and i think that is very important.

The Odyssey said...

this was crazy!! i remember exactly where i was when this happened.. i was down at the beach with my cousins and we were watchin like dora the explorer and this popped up and we were so mad!
everything makes since now of why this happed.. when i was young my parents just said that everyone hates the US cuz we have so much more money than other countries haha

Anonymous said...

the series finale is going to very interesting, because it is going to tie up all o f the loose ends.
and now i understand why most countries were/are mad at the u.s.

parkthomas said...

i think if the government had made everyone aware of the motives of this attack, that it would have been alot more obvious that it was going to happen at some point. It was a spontaneous act of hate towards the USA, it was planned and fueled by our broken promises

Abbi Edwards said...

wow...i remember this of course but i just didn't, ever imagine how intense and totally awful this event really is. Like, honestly if i had known what was going on back then, i would have thought the world was ENDING! It is devastating and i cant imagine the thoughts people were thinking when this happened, because just now i feel terrible. goodness...

brenda said...

I remember 911 but i really didnt understand why? someone would had attack so many innocent people in the twin towers. yet now i know the truth about the anger and answer to the attacks. i hope this never happens again.

Alina said...

prill i can't wait for thursday for the finale, and thank you so much for this year. i remember you always telling us about how this class would be meaningless if you didn't get up to the present, and while i always knew how important the knowing about the present was, i never truly understood it until i realized how much what we had been learning caused the present. i remember back in the third grade when 9/11 occurred how it just seemed like a random attack, and how people began to panic and blame the entire middle east. now i realize how it wasn't completely random, and really i actually have more of an understanding in what happened. i'm sure that the season finale is going to be like the bow tying up the package.

ur class also made me realize how much history also affects our personal lives. i remember you telling us about how the cold war caused the schools' emphasis on math and science, and how the cold war caused "god" to be put into the pledge. i now just look back at post-9/11 and remember how often we had to sing patriotic songs that year. i understand how it just now all connects with nationalism.

besides that i finally realize why you teach history and put so much emphasis on how our generation has to solve the world's problems. i understand now why we have to solve global problems for both humanitarian reasons and how it's also a globalized world. i also understand now why history is so crucial in that. thanks for a great year prill.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

this is an event that would scar my mind forever. i remember going home when i was in 3rd grade and everyone was watching tv. i was wondering why everyone was watching the news(back then i thought news channel was very boring). then my mum told me to sit down and watch the news. i was devastated and i didn't completely understand why though but i guess i do now...

Theresa Dang said...

this was very sad. i remember sitting in class in elementary school years ago watching this with the class. of course we didnt know what was going on, now i know. The videos brought back a lot of memories.

Kailey Carroll said...

This is almost unreal. Before learning about this, I didn't think that this type of thing would ever happen, and it is so interesting to me because I actually lived it. It is horrible to think of all the people that lost their lives which is why I don't know how the reporters could report this without having to cry or having to take a minute to regain themselves because this was horrible. I think that it is interesting how Bush did not say what the real cause of these attacks were (the ongoing hate between the US and this terrorist group) but maybe he did not know. Nevertheless, I am very glad now to actually know what happened and why it happened.

Anonymous said...

ok Sweet I can't wait. It's a tradgic thing that happened...but its something I'll get to tell my children that I LIVED THROUGH..and I'll get to share with them WHY IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED becuase I was in Mr. Prill's ap world class and it was the series finale!! CAN'T WAITTT

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. I haven't seen that footage since I was 8. I didn't at all understand, or even realize the horror of the event itself. But after seeing them today, I couldn't help myself from becoming infuriated. My pulse is still up 15 minutes after watching the videos. It was absolutely terrifying to watch these events take place on live TV. I'm talking about right now, almost 8 years later, still terrifying.

On a positive note, it was absolutely chilling to watch the ground zero video when the cround began chanting USA. The love and spirit that unites America will never die, and I'm pround to be an American.

whitney wright said...

Watching these video honestly make me scared. I think back to the day when it happens and I remember how scared I was and I was crying because I didn't understand why people would want to hurt Americans but know I have a better understanding of why the world doesn't like the US very much. I'm really excited for the finale.

Michael Napolitano said...

I can remember this day as if it were yesterday not because I saw it, but so many kids in my classes got check out and when I got home my houses atmosphere seemed off (not to mention at school as well), and then my parents told my what had happened. I know this is kind of morbid, but my mother is at the barber shop with my little brother and he is getting his first hair cut when a news report comes out saying a plane has hit the twin towers.

Sean Cox said...

9-11 was unbelievable. I will never forget that day in third grade. i cant wait for the finale

mr prill this has nothing to do with the topic i just wanted to share this with you and i thought that you would find this amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEF2-a6QBx8&feature=dir

The news media in this country is out of control....

Anonymous said...

When 9-11 hit i remember being escorted out into the hallways of my school and being told to put are head between are knees. It is weird that the administrates thought being in the hallways would safe if a bomb/plane hit the school.(they didn't know that it was a plane that hit just saw pictures of the trade center on fire)

Alexandra Kaye said...

I remember sitting in my classroom in third grade and my teacher turning on the television to the news and we watched it over and over again in third grade. I remember kids being scared and talking to my parents that night when we got home from school but all they told me was that people did mean things, it’s not like we could have comprehended this all back then, but now it all makes so much more sense. I understand why everything happened. I'm not saying i agree with it because it was just plain wrong, but in their eyes completely justified. Bush makes a good point that really frustrates me: innocent people working and on a plane were harmed for no reason. It does make me feel a little better though when he reminds us how we as a country came together giving blood and helping people we don't even know. But it’s still a horrendous and sad crime.

maddiewatson said...

September 11th is probably the only day I remember of third grade. I understand so much more of why it happened now and the day where we talk about this will probably be the most interesting day for me. I went to NYC over spring break and went to ground zero it was so sad and almost make it more realistic rather than just hearing about it.

Paco Treviño said...

prill your lesson today almost made me cry

Anonymous said...

Wow just watching a few of those videos reminds you of the terrible events of that day. Now I cant wait for the season finale. So we can understand what caused the attacks of 9/11

skyler said...

woah, those videos were really eye opening, but not as intense as ur lessons.Now that i am educated on the subject and know the backround and why 911 happened, its more frighting now then when i knew nothing about it.

Kaleb Swanda said...

I have never seen that video of Bush with the bullhorn before. i think it's a neat side of him that I've never seen. It shows how much he cared.

Leeshah said...

I don't remeber that day at all. I think I was too young to understand the impact or I just didn't care. But looking at the videos now makes me realize how devastating it must have been not only for the people there but for the whole country. I think this shook up America and brought us from a self centered slump. I think that the terrorist attack was known and could have been prevented but we were too caught up in ourselves to do anything.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

omgomgomg series finale is tomorrow?!

Unknown said...

9-11 is event that i will always remember. I remember I was in my 3rd grade class and another teacher comes crying to our room telling us to turn on the T.V. As soon as we turned it on there was another plane about to crash into a tower. Later we found out that the lady that told us to turn on the T.V. that her daughter worked in one of the towers.

Martin

Smurphy said...

Prill, our discussion today pretty much exposed all my feelings for this act of terrorism on September 11th, 2001. And, like many of my peers, I didn't understand the reasoning of such an attack, until recently. I just watched all of these clips with my mom and we both discussed the solemn day and the reactions. Like I mentioned earlier today, these videos really touched me.. but in a negative kind of way. Or more specifically, I guess, they just made me somber and serious. Especially when I saw the video interviewing one woman who claimed she saw people literally jumping out of windows. My emotions came over me, as well as my mom, and after, we talked about it, and she told me what she could recollect about that day. It was good to talk to someone who experienced it, as I also talked to you, Mr. Prill.

Smurphy said...

oh, and additionally, I definitely cannot wait to further our discussion in class tomorrow! I'm pumped!! :)

Anonymous said...

I hope it's okay to leave another comment on here.

I would like to retract my statement calling 9-11 terrifying. I'd like to change that to sickening. I and nobody else should stoop to the level of the terrorists. Bush's speech on the 12th was incredible. I can see the motive for the spike of military enrollment post 9-11. I don't know about you, but after watching the videos yesterday, I was ready to go join the Marines and kick some ass.

Sorry Mr. Prill, but I felt I had to say that.

Monica Enlow said...

ohmyyy...
i remember this day. everyone got checked out of my class in 3rd grade.

and i came home to find my mom frantically calling on the phone. it was quite disturbing. she was crying and everything. later i find out that my dad was supposed to be on the first plane that hit the towers. and when he wasn't picking up his phone she was scared to death. by some miracle my dad was rescheduled to go somewhere else that day and ended up driving to delaware instead of flying to new york.

it's so unnerving because there are people whose dads were on those planes. and i can't even begin to express my sympathy toward them.

Ashleigh Stewart said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what was behind this horrible event, I never really learned much about it all I knew was a lot of people lost their lifes and security hit the roof..Its still hard for me to fully grasp. Tomorrow should be interesting!

David Recchia said...

Wow, it seems like yesterday we were just talking about Early China. This year has gone by so fast and ive enjoyed all of it.

9-11, as a boy, was very confusing to me. I didnt understand why anyone who do such a horable attack on us. But, beacuse of this class im understanding the reasons.

Looking at the videos still gives me wierd feelings when the airplanes hit.

Henry A. said...

how fast the year actually goes by. all the year is leading up to tomorrow which deals with one of the scariest time in history. 9/11. im excited.

Taylor Hammond said...

i can still remember that day as if were yesterday.
I came home from school and both my parents were home which was very weird and they were crying and i tried to ask what was wrong but they never really told me but all i saw on tv was the buildings crumbling down.
I never knew what was happening but i knew that it was not good but know that im older i have a better understanding but im still a little lost on how things got to this point.

michael hennessy said...

this definitely brings back memories. as we get closer to the finale i understand more why 9-11 happened

Andi Braemer said...

today was actually really more then i thought it would be.
its surprising how many simple things are related to around the world.

Kevin_Shin said...

The day of 9/11 was sort of a blur to me since i was so young and didnt exactly know what was going on. i vaguely remember coming out of class early to see my mom and other parents waiting for their kids with a worried expression on their faces. i admit, till this day i still dont fully understand the events that took place, but im looking forward to understanding more by the end of this school year.

Elizabeth Frere said...

seeing this is still very much disurbing to me, but everything is starting to click for me. in the 3rd i remember being at recess, and the teachers talkin about bombings or plane crashings and when i got home it was explained to me the terrorists had crashed into the world trade center, but i never fully understood why they choose the trade centers until this year. it was completely devastatin and a horrific sight to watch

Lora Persyn said...

ha ha!
Mr Prill
I just got on Time website and one of the first headlines was "Is iraq ready for Twitter?".
Globalization at its best. It made me laugh.

Macy Stucke said...

Oh my gosh I can not believe that the series finale is finally here and that it ends with 9-11. I can not wait for tomorrow to hear the real causes for it tomorrow because i am still in the dark in some areas.

Henry A. said...

i cant believe the first day of the SERIES FINALE involved absolutelty no 9/11. Im guessing thats coming tommorow. Today was truly the most interesting lecture I've ever been at. Ecspecially we're the first generation that is truly globalized.

Prill said...

actually today's lecture had everything to do with 9/11. think about the attack on the WORLD-TRADE-CENTER. hmm...

Mr.Curtis said...

Finally get to see all the events that led up to Sept. 11 . Didn't fully understand what even happened until much later, and i didn't exactly know who in Iraq we were fighting against.

michael hennessy said...

I watched the family guy at ground zero today. i like how it showed that people blamed iraq when they had nothing to do with the attacks on the world trade centers

amber toy said...

9-11,is something ive never really understand the purpose of.ive never understand why there were so much tension between U.S and other countries until now.were too nosey with huge egos that think we know everything where in reality
we know too little.if we'd just "sit back and take notes"(notorioous BIG)we could actually learn something and maybe this wouldnt happen again.but of course we wont because were America:/

Prill said...

i actually think there is a new generation of americans that is ready to sit back and take notes. i teach 115 of them!