Thursday, April 23, 2009

Globalization on Film

In the last few years, films dealing with globalization either directly or indirectly have begun to emerge. Perhaps no other film, at least in my mind, emphasizes how one seemingly isolated event can trigger a global crisis than Alejandro González Iñáritu’s daring 2006 film Babel. A few years before, in 2003, Sophia Coppola very eloquently, yet subtly, delivered her take on globalization issues in her masterpiece Lost in Translation. Finally, it is always refreshing to see an exposé on how indigenous cultures of various countries are being affected by globalization. Niki Caro bravely took on this in 2002 with her film Whale Rider, which dealt with the identity crisis faced by the Maori of New Zealand during this new age of globalization. You can view trailers for all of these films below.

NOTE: The film Babel contains mature content that may be viewed as objectionable to some viewers.










8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie last year and i thought it was awesome. I do suggest that if anybody watches it that they don't have younger siblings present because it has many adult scenes in it.

Michael Napolitano said...

Patrick Dyer which film did you see. Next WOW from the name I didn't think Whale Rider would be too good, but that looks excellent. Babel looks good too. And it seems there is a common theme of the language barrier, and cultural differences in society.

Mr.Curtis said...

Babel looks like a good movie. Brad Pitt in another movie? I guess i would have to watch it fully understand all the places around the world being linked to one shooting.

MCDA said...

I have heard of the first two of these movies, but not the third. In the trailor for babel, you see just how easy it is for everyone in the world to see that an american was shot in foreign country due to one of the four componentsof globalizaton-tv. they get a live feed within minutes of the incident, and all watch intently as they are seeing what is happening half way across the world.
In the second movie Lost in Translation, you see an american actor going to an asian country where he doesnt know the language at all and has trouble understanding the local people. Why is he goin gto Asia? Because he is a famous movie star! These asians have seen his films and love them, and wanted him to come. He is in photoshoots that will be distributed the people around the country and world.

Leeshah said...

Babel shows that we have the communication to go out and communicate with all sides of the world. Our communication is not limited and it is amazing how fast news can travel. All parts of the world are connected together through globalization.

Danielle Martin said...

Babel looks really good. Globalization is shown well with how everyone in the world know of what occurred, and it portrays the inability to communicate to due having different languages. It looks interesting.

Anonymous said...

i've seen Whale Rider and i really loved this film. The little girl was a great actor and it was very interesting to see how the community of families acted and what they thought was proper and unproper.

Lora Persyn said...

I watched Whale Rider over the weekend and I highly enjoyed it. The symbolism with the rope was very interesting, as was the globalization. I had a hard time seeing the global references at first, but then I started to look at the big picture. Even an indigenous culture based on ancient legends was questioning their ways, and all it took was naming a girl Pikea. I love the last few scenes when she would not let go of the whale. It was surpsisingly emotional even though you knew that she would be OK.