Friday, April 24, 2009

Films Taking on 9/11 and the Aftermath

There haven't been a ton of films that have taken on the actual events of 9/11 (of course, it's still a fairly recent event). I was not a fan of Oliver Stone's overly melodramatic World Trade Center. The one film that gets it exactly right, though, is British auteur Paul Greengrass' 2006 thriller United 93. The film follows the flight that was headed towards Washington on 9/11 but crashed in Pennsylvania. United 93 has no known actors. In fact, many of those in the control tower in the film were the actual people in the control tower on 9/11. The film takes place in REAL TIME. It begins when the plane takes off, and it ends as the plane crashes, in the exact amount of time that the horrific events actually took place. In my opinion, it was the best film of 2006 for so many reasons. Many more films have been made about the aftermath of 9/11. Some, like Alex Gibney's 2007 documentary feature Taxi to the Dark Side, have taken on the issues of the ethics (or the lack thereof) of United States interrogation techniques with suspected terrorists. Interestingly enough, the CIA is being exposed by the current Obama administration just this week for the acts of torture that are investigated candidly in this film. Although Afghanistan was the original center of the war on terror, as we all know the war spread into Iraq in 2003 although there was no connection between Iraq and 9/11 (as Taxi to the Dark Side touches on incidently). Since then, many films have taken on the major, yet oftentimes ignored, challenges American soldiers specifically face in Iraq. Although there have been several films on the subject, none to me does a better job than the little seen but extremely powerful 2007 film by director Paul Haggis In the Valley of Elah. No film that I know of does a better and more accurate job of explaining the current situation and Iraq and why current events are taking place there like Charles Ferguson's 2007 documentary feature No End in Sight. Finally, we never should forget the horrors and challenges that Iraqi civilians currently face, and the film that does the best job of explaining that is James Longley's 2006 documentary feature Iraq in Fragments. The trailers for these films can be viewed below.



















7 comments:

jessicafritz said...

I couldn't see the videos (I guess that's what they are) because the school blocked them or something. But I remember I saw a movie on the 9/11 attck of the plane that crashed in PA a while back. It may have been "United 93" but I can't really remember. It was really good at showing exactly what happened on that flight. I remember after watching it thinking how scary that must have been for those people who tried to stop the terrorists as best as they could.

Mr.Curtis said...

United 93 looks like a great movie. This was the one plane that i was wondering about. In the trailer it is still unclear what weapon he has. I thought cockpits had doors with locks on them.

Andi Braemer said...

dangggg.
united 93 looks amazinggg.
it kinda reminds me of how the small group of people can do big things statement.
all it takes is one brave person to stand up and there will be followers.
but these films really got to me. i wish we would of listened to the declaration so our world didnt have to come to this.

iamnotjulia said...

WOW
one little mistakes by little mistakes of many countries eventually resulted in this. Destruction, corruption, and demolition of the world. We should be better off if we stayed as hunting and gathering. Boy, those days were good. We really do have tons of burden on our shoulders. I really do hope we can make change and put things back together.

Danielle Martin said...

"United 93" looks like it would be extremely good, though "Taxi to the Dark Side" does as, I believe I personally would enjoy watching the documentary more. I didn't really understand the plot of "In the Valley of Elah" but "No End in Sight" looked really interesting as well.Iraq in Fragments was to me, one that I definitely am going to watch in the future. "Iraq is not something you can cut into pieces. Iraq is a country." This line was so powerful to me, and with a small child saying it, made the impact so much more.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

United 93 looks like a good movie to watch.

Henry A. said...

United 93 looks like a really good movie. It looks really put together and everything. I must see it.