Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Films Tackling Issues of Modern India

What was that? You STILL haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire? What exactly are you waiting for? It is now on DVD, and yes it does live up to all of the hype. Perhaps that should be weekend rental this weekend. Or, if you prefer something a little bit more obscure, but completely thought provoking that tackles issues of women's roles in modern India, perhaps you should check out Deepa Mehta's 2005 film Water. It comes highly recommended from me as well. Both trailers can be viewed below.







18 comments:

Unknown said...

i saw slumdog millionaire! that was soooooo good! way better than i expected because im way more into chick filcks, but water looks good too! i have a blockbuster gift card and i just may use it!!!!

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

good movie!

Lora Persyn said...

WHOOOO! Go Slumdog Millionaire! Water seems really familiar, I think my sister likes it. I'll try to get ahold of it.

Thought said...

Oh Perfect! I really wanted to see Slumdog! I'll make sure I go buy it!
Water looks like a great film too, I'd love to see it. Maybe I can rent it from Blockbuster or something...

Taylor Hammond said...

i told my mom that i wanted to see this because everyone tells me its a great movie so im excited to see it for myself.

Nicole Gustafson said...

O my god! I am going to watch "Water" right now on youtube if I can find it! It looks sooooo good!!!!! I love the title! At the end of the trailer it mentioned elements, and shheyeah! Water is feminine, change, healing, rebirth of new, pure, transformation!! It is all so wonderful! I'm so excited!

Nicole Gustafson said...

ahhh! HELP! I can't find it on the internet! There is a website where I can download it, but there is a VERY annoying popup advertissement that wont let me click on it without going to the website...!!! argh! This is inconviencing! Someone please help me find a way to watch the movie!

Nicole Gustafson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Gustafson said...

ahhh! I am having serious problems finding this!! This is very sad... someone please help me...

Prill said...

here's a suggestion... but maybe i'm just a purist... BUY IT OR RENT IT LEGALLY so that the director, writer, and the entire cast and crew is compensated fairly... independent film folks don't make a ton of money... let's make sure we're supporting the arts here...

www.blockbuster.com

www.netflix.com

www.amazon.com

Nicole Gustafson said...

lol I know, which is what i'm going to do. I just cannot get ou tof the house tonight...soooo.

Anonymous said...

i watched slumdog twice over the break and loved it even more the second time :) By watching this movie it really opened up my eyes(and my parents) to how different India is when compared to the U.S.

Mimi Phan said...

Right after Slumdog was over, I didn't want to leave me seat. I wanted to watch it again. I don't think any movie has captivated me so much. And Dev Patel did such a good job in this movie portraying a kid from the slums when his entire life he's lived in England and didn't really have prior knowledge of the reality of India. And what made the movie even more realistic was that they actually used a couple of kids directly from the slums to play the kid characters. The part that got me the most was when the Hindus came off of the train and headed towards Jamal's Muslim village and obliterated everything. And you could really see Westernization in India with the reading of "The Three Musketeers" and of course, the show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." And Water seems very interesting. I will definitely be seeing that on my own time.

Anonymous said...

i watched Slumdog Millionaire on my way to rome on the plane..
amazing movie!! i loved it!

Anonymous said...

MY Dad just rented it for this week end....and im so excited...My dad has already watched it and said it was hard to understand....But i think its because he doesnt have Mr. Prill's Ap world class.....can't wait!!! Wahoo

Anonymous said...

after reading some of the reviews of people who live in India and people that have been to India they were discussing how this video was an exact representation of India. I just saw this movie thisweek, and personally it is one of my favorite movies. I haven't seen many movies' setting take place in the slums of India without snake chamers or elephants lazing across the road. Am i am thankful that Ifinlly saw one that truely represents India since many live in the slums. It is undoubtedly something to be moved by and ashamed of.Poverty is in root of this shameful state of lives of Indians.


I wasn't expecting the movie to be as dark as it was, lastly if you paid attention to small details you can really make may connections with this class. I am very thankful i took this class because without it I would this movie would not affect me as near as much.

angiem said...

hm..well i still havent seen it, but i cant wait to rent it! seems the whole world favors this film (:

Geena Kim said...

I've heard so many positive & good comments about this movie from my friends & all over the school! I've been wanting to see it really bad, but never got a chance to, & I didnt even know the DVD came out already, ahaha.
I'll be watching both of those movies soon(: