Friday, April 24, 2009

Environmental Issues on Film

Recently, a wave of filmmakers, especially documentarians, have been taking on issues of environmental problems. No doubt about it, (1) the environmental problems that the planet faces now that scientists are talking about every day are REAL, and (2) yes, we have seen entire civilizations wiped out as a result of environmental degradation in this class, have we not? I don't know anyone who has actually done research not conclude that, yes, climate change is a challenging reality we face going into the 21st century. Where the debate emerges is regarding the actual causes. Probably one of the most seen documentaries in the history of the art form is David Guggenheim's 2006 film An Inconvenient Truth in which former Vice President Al Gore takes on the issues of climate change, the causes, and what must be done. Although the film stirred controversy in some circles, it is widely regarded as an important piece of popular research, hailed by the majority of the scientific community, and is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen if I'm being honest. A film that was less controversial and ever so beautiful is Werner Herzog's 2008 documentary Encounters at the End of the World. The film subtly takes on environmental concerns, and all the while takes the viewer to the world of Antarctica, a place that so many of us have never seen before. What is unique about the film for me is that it focuses, not on the animal, but on the few humans that have chosen to live down there and why. Finally, let us not forget one of the most popular films of 2008 that was a hit with all ages that actually contained a very strong and pointed environmental message, and that would be Andrew Stanton's Wall-E. Wall-E is not an entertain cartoon folks, it is a stern warning. Now that the Series Finale is behind us, watch it again, and look for the issues addressed regarding environmental degradation, globalization, and mass consumerism. Trailers for all three films can be viewed below.











21 comments:

Katelyn Niemann said...

I remember all the controvercy over WAllE because of the harsh view on the world's current state, but it was true! I had to watch a kid ine night and we watched WallE but he got scared in the beggining. True, he thought it was scary because of the dark color and the "something's going to happen" kind of music, but I agreed with him because the facts were thrown into your face right at the start!

Mr.Curtis said...

interesting trailers. Whole civilizations that were destroyed to due degradation reminds me of Harrapa. They altered the environment and were destroyed.

Leeshah said...

I love the movie WallE but I can see that the pollution of the world left it nothing more than a floating rock. Humans just abandon it after using it and nothing but a robot is left. The amount of garbage people use is amazing. Buildings after buildings are made of garbage. Mass consumerism really took a toll in this movie causing an almost irreversible effect.
In the movie Encounters at the End of the world I saw a cold place that is filled with new and amazing sights. The chances in living in Antarctica seems kind of outrageous. But what if we could live there? Would we use it to our advantage or screw it up as well?

parkthomas said...

when i first heard of walle i thought it would be another stupid disney movie. but when i was forced to watch it, i actually enjoyed how the weren't afraid to portray the problems of the world

Electra Fox said...

My baby sister and I were watching Wall-e the other day and she said “sissy, that’s not good. That’s very VERY not nice. It makes me sad.” Of course, she was referring to the fact that wall-e was left all alone to clean up other peoples junk, but it is true none the less. That could easily be the state of affairs of mother earth if we don’t get our act together. Also the fact that there was better technology that would have made Wall-e’s job easier, but he wasn’t equipped with it. It bears an interesting resemblance to what core countries do to periphery. The core could give them “stuff” (technology, medication, etc…) to make their life’s better, but they don’t. It isn’t necessary for the core countries to b happy, and it would cost. The similarities between where it is a safe bet that we (as a species) are going and the cartoon about a totally awesome robot are slightly scary.

David Recchia said...

Wow i feel dumb not thinking about Wall-e in that kinda way.

This might be the only was people will listen to Environmental issues, but it works. Hopefully people were scared and informed by these films.

Encounter at the End of the World seemed insane to me(partly because i dont like the cold that much), but the fact that these people live there kills me!

Alexandra Kaye said...

People use so many things without realizing what it does to the environment. Things fill up landfills and while some of them decompose others don't so it leaves garbage everywhere and sometimes it even get dumped into bodies of water. See the trailer for wall e and just looking at the setting a background makes you wonder if that is where we really are headed. I have no doubt in my mind that we could end up living in a place like that, but i think if everyone was educated on what they were doing to the planet then we may have a shot at not necessarily reversing the damage we have already created but we at least wouldn't do more harm.

Andi Braemer said...

the encounters at the end of the world looks reallyy tight.
i kinda wanted to be a world traveler to see how other people lived and what simple things effect their economies.
ill admit it, im definitely a huge tree hugger. i dont even eat meat beacuse i feel bad about it. but i had noooo idea how bad issues were around the world.

Danielle Martin said...

While Wall-e would be an entertaining film with very dark and subtle undertones, I personally lean towards controversial films that have a strong impact, so I plan on watching "An Inconvenient Truth" soon. It is really disturbing, where the world is headed if we don't act soon. The waste, the pollution, everything is having backlash on the world. The sad thing is most people just think that it's not really happening and that they can just brush it off.

iamnotjulia said...

Oh my goodness!!!!
these look like great movies. I'm gonna watch these over the summer. I have a great interest in the environmental issues. The scene with the before and after pictures in AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH really really shocked me. One of them looked like lake lanier, but it was once covered with ice. Mt Kilimanjaro looked like outback.
We really need to take a part in limiting the pollusion. Use less shampoo, recycle, and don't litter! this is the easiest thing we can do!

Anonymous said...

I see the common themes in all of these trailors, and exspecially like the picture in wall-e that was best picture (from another post), i think that picture pretty much could sum everything up in itself

what i think of when i watch these is what you talked about today about how 1/5 of the worlds wealthiest people cproduce 4/5 of the worlds pollution. thats insane...but it does make sense

Ben Doty said...

Wall E was a very interesting movie that sent out a very urgent message of the path the world is currently headed in. The planet was covered in trash and pollution and was un-civilized by humans. The movie tries to influence people's decisions about what they're doing to their planet. As you see in the movie, the only one trying to solve the situation was a small, friendly robot. One "person" is not going to be able to solve the problem so it is our job to clean up the planet.

maddiewatson said...

I never realized WallE was about the actual world. I think it's actually pretty brilliant though because if they're targeting younger kids then they'll be more aware.

cori kempshall said...

I was thinking about what u were saying about how the population boom is creating havoc for the world and its environment. But is there a way to prevent it? I mean just like spreading birthcontrol around the world?

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

ooo these look like really nice trailers. I explained to my mum what WallE was trying to warn us about. anyways, Encounters at the End of the World looks really interesting.

Jacob Wisner said...

I am completely for conservation and taking care of the environment 100% but it is also clear that Wall-E is a propaganda technique. There is nothing wrong with showing your point of view, but I personally don't like these trailers because of the exaggerations portrayed in them. I think a more effective way to help get the point across for protecting the environment is to show films with the facts to the older and more experienced population, rather than the younger generation who will believe whatever they hear. Do we want a close-minded society? The facts are not represented in these trailers, the opinion and predictions of some are presented.

Prill said...

the general consensus in the community of climatologists is that the info related in an inconvenient truth is based on sound science... this comes from the vast majority. have you ever seen it? it's very well researched. i'm not really sure where you are going with this b/c the most effective way to get anything important across is to reach out to the youth since they tend to be the most open minded of the bunch... i respect your opinions, but i have to put in my two cents on this one

Jacob Wisner said...

I have heard of the movie, but I have never seen it. I know that the movie states that we have 10 years since 2005 to turn global warming around or disasters such as flooding, droughts, and massive storms will sweep the globe. Doesn't this mean that we only have 6 years left until we reach the "tipping point" ?

This is the source I have used:(http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/REVIEWS/60517002)

It doesn't seem like that could be possible in such a short time. Is 6 years going to affect the world that much?

I have also heard that the planet has been both warming and cooling.

(http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2008/oct/Reg110Dv00Elem02_10102008_pg.gif)

How are be able to predict gobal warming or cooling? On weather forecasts, the highest forecast is a ten day. If we are not able to predict the weather accurately a month in advanced, how will we be able to predict the weather in ten years? It all seems like an opinionated estimation.

And I agree that children are open-minded, but as they are exposed to ideas early in life they tend to grow up with the concepts they are told as they are raised (for example we grow up with the same values as our parents). It okay to teach children early, as long as it is more than one idea. I agree with your philosphy about becoming exposed to more than one set of ideas, values, or culture. Shouldn't this should include parents and teachers when it comes to educating children?

Patrick Mayer said...

Well first of all before i say anything else, i religiously watch the discovery channel, national geographic, science channel and animal planet so i'm aware of the problems. They mainly relate to the temperature rising and how much basically everything people do on the planet is wrong and how we are ruining it...
CO2 emmisions: more CO2
+ deforestation: less CO2 absorbing trees
=super increase in temp. which also means crazy weather patterns, like katrina, and a higher sea level which can help hurricanes and storms become even more destructive...
lucky for us however, nowadays scientists work on renewable energy sources and on making them more efficient, lets just hope they develop them before the weather goes way out of control.

oh also prill, way to put jacob in his place!

Jacob Wisner said...

hah patrick, I was just giving my opinion.

Also Patrick, do YOU agree with An Inconvenient Truth when he says that we have six more years until environmental catastrophe is irreversible?

Patrick Mayer said...

Considering the way things are headed right now, I feel like it's not out of the question. It could easily become irreversible in six years.