Ladies and gents, we have been following the Oscar race all season here on this blog, and tonight is the long awaited event, the Oscar ceremony. You guys are not only well informed regarding history at this point, but because you have a film geek as a teacher, you know exactly who all the front-runners are in tonight's ceremony. All indicators are that Slumdog Millionaire will take home the big prize of Best Picture, and probably a few other awards (it is nominated for 10 total). Look out for the nomination leader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with 13 nominations, to do well in the technical categories. Finally, look for Kate Winslet to finally win her overdue Oscar for her performance in The Reader. As always, the BBC offers the best analysis of anything news-worthy, including tonight's ceremony. You can click here for their excellent full coverage. Want to fill out your own Oscar ballot? Click here to pull one up, fill it out, and see how you do. I will be updating this blog as the awards start being announced, right around 8:30 pm on ABC.And the winners are (as they roll in)...
Best Picture- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Director- Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Screenplay- Dustin Lance Black, Milk
Best Adapted Screenplay- Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Foreign Language Film- Departures
Best Animated Feature Film- Wall-E
Best Actor in a Lead Role- Sean Penn, Milk
Best Actress in a Lead Role- Kate Winslet, The Reader
Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Actress in a Supporting Role- Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Documentary Feature- Man on Wire
Best Cinematography- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Score- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Song- “Jai Ho”, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Film Editing- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Art Direction- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Costume Design- The Duchess
Best Makeup- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Visual Effects- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Sound Mixing- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Sound Editing- The Dark Knight
Best Live Action Short Film- Spielzeugland
Best Documentary Short Subject- Smile Pinki
Best Animated Short Film- La Maison en Petits Cubes
Awards Tally
Slumdog Millionaire- 8
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 3
The Dark Knight- 2
Milk- 2
Departures- 1
The Duchess- 1
La Maison en Petits Cubes-1
Man on Wire- 1
The Reader- 1
Smile Pinki- 1
Spielzeugland- 1
Vicky Cristina Barcelona- 1
Wall-E-1
So there you have it folks, we close the book on another film year. Was there any doubt that Slumdog Millionaire was going to go all the way? Now it's midnight, so I say good night everyone! Congrats to all the winners!

24 comments:
hey, Mr. Prill, is there going to be a study posting? I have some questions to ask.
YES YES YES!
I'm soooo excited! There's no way I'm staying up until 11:30 to watch the entire thing, but I'm going to watch as much as I can. I still don't think Slumdog Millionaire should win. It should, but I think Benjamin Button will win.
Nostudy session for the test or the essay up? Poop. =[
I just wanted to see if anyone had questions I could answer or good points that could help. Oh well...
GOOD LUCK ON YALLS' ESSAYS EVERYBODY!
Sapp.
no essay to discuss since you all do not know the topic
test discussion the day before
Hey Prill what's "Best Adapted Screenplay"?
it's a screenplay based on a novel, short story, play, etc.
example: benjamin button is based on an f. scott fitzgerald short story.
HA im exited to see the outcome...
Oh okay thanks (:
I think the curious case of bejamine button should win at least one award because of all the technical things they had to do, must have taken a long time.
Fitzgerald wrote The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?
Cool.
I was surprised it won for best makeup. Wasn't most of it CGI?
YAY for Danny Boyle! I was hoping he'd win, and Jai Ho, there was no competition. I love listening to that song.
Watchmen in 12 days.
I just watched La Maison en Petits Cubes on Youtube. It is really great and unique. The soundtrack was great and it is very moving for a ten minute short. It reminded me a lot of "The Snowman" short that went along to George Winston music. This short seems to be from a Japanese company, but the short seemed more European. It proves you don't need flashy effects to tell a great story in an imaginative way. Though Presto was funny (and the rabbit's name was Alec), La Maison was truly deserving of this award.
I was looking through the China tour packet, and I am looking forward to touring a hutong.
im so glad that heath ledger won for the dark knight. i would have been really upset if he didnt because i thought he did an amazing job in that role and his death was extremely sadening. i just wish he could have been the one to walk up and get it but im sure a lot of other people feel the same way.
Slumdog Millionare wins 8. Can you tell me someone who didn't expect that to happen. Um Wall-e i thought was pretty brilliant being a animated pictures kind of guy. Penelope Cruz....all i can say is wow. And last but not least congrats to Kate Winslet. she reminds me so much of Cate Blanchett. They are both so sophisticated. Anyway my favorite of all was La Maison en Petites Cubes.
due i think that horton hears a who should have won best animated film eventhough it wasn't even nominated. but at least i'm happy that the dark night won two
I jsut watched La Maison en Petites Cubes on youtube(Thanks Alec).
AAAWWWWWWWW. It was so cute. How interesting and creative, like with the whole scuba diving trip. Who thinks of that? How cool. I agree with Alec that it was very moving.
I know it translates as "House of Small Cubes", but what language is it? I saw articles in French and Italian. Just curious.
Slumdog Millionaire won 8 oscars! Thats freaking awesome!!
kinda sad that the dark knight only got 2...
but its cool that slumdog millionaire got 8!
but there were some great nominees this year.
Alec, I love The Snowman!!! its so cute :]
i hope we're thinking of the same one!
omg mr. prill i forgot to say that the musical performance was amazing, mostly because zac efron was on it lol
i didn't watch the whole thing cause it was too late, but wow! slumdog got 8 awards!! dang!
that song Jai Ho, i luv it and its on my mp3..haha!
dark knight should have gotten more but comparing it to slumdog and benjamin button, it had no chance...
i thought it was so cool that heath ledger won the award for the dark knight! it was so moving!
Oh man, i was starting to watch the Oscars, but i never finished!
I didnt see slumdog win any awards :/ darnn.
ah i need to see this slumdog millionare!!! My friend saw it and she said it was uh the best movie she has ever seen?!? wow, i have high expectations if i see it, but i really want to!
Post a Comment