It's interesting to me that every time a new class of society pushes for new freedoms, the push results in another feminist push. After the Haitian Revolution, the abolitionist cause gets a huge push, and this eventually results in the abolition of slavery by law in the entire western hemisphere by 1888. Incidentally, as I've mentioned before, because many of your abolitionists were women (Harriet Beecher Stowe anyone?), a feminist movement was launched alongside the abolitionist movement, but it did not meet with much success. In the late 19th century, we begin to see a big socialist-driven push to secure worker's rights, and, you guessed it, a new wave of feminism is launched alongside it. In 1850, two years after the first U.S. women’s rights convention was held in Seneca Falls, New York, a group of Ohio women met in Salem, in eastern Ohio, to draw up resolutions on the status of women for submission to a forthcoming convention that was to consider amendments to the state constitution. The Salem meeting has a special place in the history of feminist movements because, although men attended, they were not allowed to speak, vote, or make proposals. At the close of the meeting the men in attendance organized their own association, and as their first act, voted to endorse the resolutions the women had just approved. The resolutions were received less favorably at the constitutional convention, where the delegates, all men, ignored them. You can read the resolutions passed at the Salem meeting by clicking here.After you have read the resolutions, I would like you to consider and discuss the following: What specific demands do the resolutions make in the areas of education, the family, politics, and employment? For the authors of the resolution, dependency is a key concept in their views of women’s place in society. What do they mean by this term, and what social and political practices contribute to it? What specific demands do the resolutions make in the areas of political rights, employment, education, and the family? The authors admit that not all women share their views. How do they view women who are content to accept their “idle lives” and “sterile submission?” How do they explain these women’s indifference to women’s plight? Your thoughts…

21 comments:
They make a big point that if they are not going to be allowed to interact with government they should not have to pay taxes. They say women who live idle lives are "involved in the suffering of their own oppression". I think that means they are sad that this has happened but don't know what to do about it.
no taxation without representation ¿verdad?
Finally women actually take part in something. and the men this time even supported and agreed. it's pretty funny how the men were to not talk or make any proposals at the meeting. now they know how women have felt for the past hundred years. they said that all human rights were without the distinction of sex, which is good. they also said that all people, men & women, are to have all the rights. the law of nature is not based on sex at all but sex was the main problem.
I really like the fact that they are standing up- or trying to stand up for themselves! I think most women are finally understanding the importance of their rights. I liked how it said, " the education of woman should be in accordance with responsibility in life of rights. " That means to me like their education is important to them, and sex should have nothing to do with the education. I also noticed the strong hatred of the sex discrimination. In my opinion, they would rather be discriminated in their education or even race than their gender!
finally!! they realized that they were being put down for no reason!! i've been yelling this since the beginning of the year with the societies...
wow this document was a real shocker! GO SALEM MEETING! Those resolutions were very refreshing to read considering there were very few societies who viewed gender discrimination like this.
I agree with caleb on how the big point was if they cant or not allowed to interact with government then why do they have to pay the taxes that the men have to pay. There was also a point in saying that they do care about education even though they are women or a different sex
I just point out that conditions are still not equal. "all distinctions between men
and women in regard to... religious or political customs and institutions,
based on a distinction of sex"
I know, for example, that the Catholic church still doesn't allow women to be priests. I dont really know about other religions, but im sure there are still distinctions.
They point out that women can't really get jobs or money, so they can't have any independance from their husbands. They can't leave them because they don't have much money.
I think they are saying that for one class of women, they are either forced to work in factories, or the rich women are just trophy wives and can't do anything serious.
Again, it's the no taxation with out representation. Women can't vote or hold office, so why should they have to pay taxes?
....you know how i feel about this Prill. A sad, sad day for male chauvinist everywhere.
[shakes head in disagreement]
Women are beginning to stand up for themselves and are finally trying to get the rights they deserve. The women relate themselves to slaves, meaning they are not worth anything important and are only their to do the work.
yeah i think that women should have the same rights that men have just because it is fair.
yay! finally we get to the period in time when women actually stand up for themselves and not just ask for, but demand equality. it is amazing to me though that it has taken women this long to say something without being totally shot down. i think its great that men are also joining in on it. now we just have to work on the race discrimination!
ahaha! That is like a slap in the face to the men, but the men there apparently wanted to help the women, in which case it would have made more sense to be "equal" in their discussions and both talk. It is wonderful of the men to take the women's plans and move them on for them. After acting in such a way to those particular men, though, I wouldn't think they would want to do it. Maybe they just understood the point.
mm! Yeah to the women! I don't understand how so many women CAN simply live leisurely lives of being under submissision and doing what a man tells you. I know that is because of the more equality we have today, which ROCKS by the way! Thank you! I do not think I could have been able to stand doing all the things women did... I couldn't practice sati, unless I LOVED the guy, and was like Romeo and Juilet :) I would have had to fun away...or been sad.. I don't know. gz. I'm so glad we have these things now
I never really understood why women's rights were supressed for so long. I mean to me it seems like women would be equal just from the fact that they give birth, idk maybe its cuz im a woman that i c it from this light. lol just thot id say that.
I like how this document was written. You can really hear womens difficence in it. They are fighting for rights and make some very important points. They say that sense women arent' permitted to hold office or have a voice in government that they shouldn't have to pay taxes. and they say this with an attitude! "She should not be compelled to pay taxes
out of her scanty wages to support men who get eight dollars a-day for taking the right to themselves
to enact laws for her." i love that quote!
Finally, women are finally able to publish their thoughts on this whole low women's rights issue. The reason for them being considered dependent to men is because men wouldn't allow them to have rights enough to show how independent they can be. I never considered the fact that they still had to pay taxes to the men that took their ability to even allow themselves into the government. Definitely should reconsider paying taxes to the men in a government you have no say in.
its like a change of pace that temporarily puts men in women's shoes by making them not talk at the meeting..i think its kind of funny. haha. but i also think that this must have been a great issue that caused a lot of uproar if even most of the men were in support of women's sufferage. i'm glad that women are finally demanding rights.
this is actually the first time I'm not seriously upset with reading about Women's rights! Women are actually trying to stand up for themselves and their rights. Good points that men had fought for not even 100 years prior are being brought up again in full force but this time fro women.
The women pulled through this time, and its due to the enlightenment ideas as well as the overall idea of equality. slaves got their voting rights before women.
Okay so I love how the woman very clearly point out that human rights are HUMAN rights, and not just men's rights. Next is no taxation without representation. That's like making the Girl's softball team fund the Football team. Now why would they do that if they had no part in football? It just doesnt make much sense. And by saying that the woman of ohio will continue to annually meet it reminds me of the National Assembly with the French.. protesting until they get what they want and removing themselves from present stupidity.
can't vote form kitchen.....
Post a Comment