Monday, January 26, 2009

"Slumdog Millionaire" Takes the Producers Guild Award and the top Screen Actors Guild Award This Weekend

Well all I have to say is that you can't stop a freight train when it's coming, and Slumdog Millionaire is this year's freight train. Anything short of a Best Picture Oscar for this film would be considered a huge upset. This is a film that the industry has gotten behind, critics have gotten behind, and general populace audiences have begun to embrace (it just broke into the top 5 for weekend box office this weekend for the first time since its release, a sign of phenomenal word of mouth). In fact, the film just opened in Mumbai last week to huge crowds. At any rate, here are the results of the PGA and SAG Awards over the weekend...

Producers Guild Awards

Best Feature Film- Slumdog Millionaire

Best Animated Feature- Wall-E

Best Documentary Feature- Man on Wire

Oh and just for the record, even though I don't really track the television awards here, a big congratulations is in order for John Adams winning best Best Production Long-Form Television (that would be a movie or miniseries made for television)!

Screen Actors Guild Awards

Ensemble Cast: Slumdog Millionaire

Lead Actress: Meryl Streep, Doubt

Lead Actor: Sean Penn, Milk

Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Up Next: Directors Guild Awards on Saturday.

11 comments:

Jacob Wisner said...

I am so excited about John Adams winning that award! For all those who have not seen it, it is an incredible account of
John Adams and the other founding fathers. It can be found at blockbuster and I believe at netflix too. Be prepared to take up an entire weekend, like my family, and watch the eight disk collection. I especially love how each founding father is easily recognizable without their names being said. It is also unbiased and shows the flaws of American congressmen and citizens along with the British. After watching this series I have a new found respect for our founding fathers and John Adams. In my opinion every American should watch this series and feel an appriciation for those that formed our country

Prill said...

i second that emotion

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

yeaaaaaa slumdog millionaire woohoo!!!

Lora Persyn said...

I JUST finished watching Slumdog Millionaire. Wow. Most really serious movies I only watch because I want to see the end, and usually I don't make it that far anyway. But I found myslef actually getting into this film, which is weird for me. It was one of those movies that had a shock-begining, not a slow introduce-the-characters-and conflict type thing. Usually with the shock begining movies I find the plots out of whack and they usually don't hold my attention to the end. Usually that is because they are the types of movies ppl watch for the violence thrill, like the show 24 or Transformers, which was just a bunch of drawn out fight scenes. Also, unlike most romances, the characters were not completely empty of rational thought. Like, I could actually see someone doing that, unlike most romance movie plots (Twilight). It wasn't too long either, and me being the kind of person who can't even sit through Dark Knight, I liked that. The music was great too, even though I couldn't understand most of it. To sum it up, it was a perfectly balanced movie, entertainment wise.

cori kempshall said...

Im happy heath ledger one an award, he definitely deserved it. I wanted Anjelina Jolie to win the best lead actress for her role in changeling though. and its no suprise to me that john adams won the tv movie mini series thing, its very interesting.

Kailey Carroll said...

What the heck is slumdog millionaire about that it beat the dark knight AND Benjamen Button!!? Did you see it? Was it good?

Prill said...

of course, it's my number one of the year too... it's amazing

Macy Stucke said...

I was glad slumdog millionaire won. I knew it would. I hope it wins the oscars too. I thought the curious case of benjamen button would have given it a run for its money but not so much.

Theresa Dang said...

Okay, so when i was in language arts today we were talking about something...(i don't really know because i got lost and sort of stopped paying attention) but anyways, this girl in my class asked the teacher if he was the movie "Slumdog Millionaire" and that just like woke me up. haha. it was weird because i didn't really see how that movie could come into some thing we were talking about. and then she explained that the movie showed how India's government was bad and everything.. so i guess it was related to whatever we were talking about.


yeah i just thought that i should share that with you because once i heard the name or words "Slumdog Millionare," it made me think of AP world history

David Douglas said...

okay, so i'm possibly seeing a movie this weekend, and so would you recommend it? i've heard great things from a varied group of people, but i'm not sure. i'm excited to see what all the hype's about, but idk! five-star material? or no?

Mr.Curtis said...

Man on Wire? I haven't heard of that but i;ve heard of Man on Fire