Well folks, the Writers Guild of America announced their nominees for the best screenplay of 2008 today. Of course, there are two categories, one for adapted and one for original screenplay. This year, there are probably more eligible original screenplays to choose from out there. The following are this year's nominees:Best Adapted Screenplay
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Eric Roth; screen story by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord; based on the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
“The Dark Knight” (Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan; screen story by Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer; based on characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics; Batman created by Bob Kane)
“Doubt” (John Patrick Shanley; based on his stage play)
“Frost/Nixon” (Peter Morgan; based on his stage play)
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Simon Beaufoy; based on the novel “Q and A” by Vikas Swarup)
Best Original Screenplay
“Burn After Reading” (Ethan Coen, Joel Coen)
“Milk” (Dustin Lance Black)
“Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (Woody Allen)
“The Visitor” (Thomas McCarthy)
“The Wrestler” (Robert Siegel)
The lesson of the nominees? The Dark Knight is seriously for real. I've been saying that it would have to get a WGA nomination to prove to me that it had a very serious chance at an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, and it did. The other expected films all made it as well. I would say that at this point, although I could be wrong, Revolutionary Road and The Reader are going to probably have to settle for a couple acting nominations, because I think both films are dead in the Best Picture race now. It is nice to see the love for The Wrestler here, which still has a shot perhaps. I am also very glad to see (and I say this every time I see it on one of these lists) Thomas McCarthy's The Visitor get a mention. This truly is one of my favorite films of the year. It's very well written, and it does have a heart without being too soft. It came out back in January of 2008, so it's good to see that this tiny independent film is still being remember as one of the year's best. If you don't know much about the film, you can click here to check out the details on it on the official website.
Up next: The final major guild announces their nominees tomorrow: The Directors Guild of America!

10 comments:
I'm glad that TDK got the WGA nomination. I'd love it if it won, or at least was close.
I'm really mad that I haven't been able to see anything else though, besides wall-e.
i think this list seems pretty good, even tough i haven't seen a few of the movies, but i didn't think burn after reading was really good, the story line was kind of pointless
these nominations seem really good but a few i have not seen but i loved The Dark Knight!
Yeah I agree with Waseem in saying that this list is a real good list and it is very competitive.....What is this movie Milk?? I have never heard of it..I guess now im going to look it up on IMBD!!!
I really want to watch Slumdog Millionaire because it sounds like a pretty good movie and a friend of mine said it was okay. But I think the Dark Knight might win just because it was so popular..maybe.
The Dark Knight definitly deserved a nomination!! After you explained all of the movies I want to see quite a few of them now, since I really didn't know anything about like any of them..
I think the list looks really good. I have seen most of the movies but not all of them but I really want too. I also hope the Dark Night wins.
i really hope it comes down to either slumdog millionare or the dark knight, but i can't choose between the two since the movies are about completely different themes in the world today
wow... i am so glad the Dark knight got nominated! yay. They deserve it so much, but i think it is weird how a lot of these movies we really have never even heard off,and they get a nomination? Whatever, in my opinion, the dark knight deserves it all but i really wish Heath Ledger wasn't dead. ha, That is sad but i think he would have won or even gotten nominated for something!
miss edwards, i agree with you the dark knight is an excellent film. it truly trancends an overdone genre. however, "these movies we really have never heard of" are actually quite well known in the actual film community, and these nominated writers are some of the most respected artists in the craft. unfortunately quality doesn't sell movie tickets in this country (in europe it does more so, but not here for whatever reason), therefore, these films don't get the big advertising budgets from their production companies. your big blockbusters are rarely your best made films (the dark knight is an unusual exception). films like the visitor are 100x better than your big money makers. for example, your #1 film in america at the box office for the past two weeks is "marley & me." seriously!?!? but that proves my point.
Post a Comment