The Directors Guild of America voted today for their nominees for the best directed film of 2008. I was hoping to see a surprise just for fun, but it was the five expected nominees. So here it is folks, the following nominees will probably be your five Best Picture nominees as well at the Oscars:David Fincher, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
Christopher Nolan, “The Dark Knight”
Ron Howard, “Frost/Nixon”
Gus Van Sant, “Milk”
Danny Boyle, “Slumdog Millionaire”
Of course, there will always be surprises on nominations morning for the Oscars (that's Thursday, January 22 at 5:30am PST by the way), but it really looks like the aforementioned films will be the five Best Picture nominees. The surprises will come in other categories. One never knows though, everyone was counting out Atonement at this point last year too, and it ended up on the Academy's shortlist last year. In fact, it garnered 8 nominations overall. I don't know if that's going to happen this year though. Revolutionary Road may be this year's Atonement, but I wouldn't count on it. I am of course throwing my full support behind Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire, so let the awards start piling up!
Up next: The Critics Choice awards are tonight on VH1. You've already seen their nominees (if you want to be reminded of them, you can click here to see what they were), but tonight the awards are to be given out. Let's see of Slumdog Millionaire takes the top prize.

9 comments:
I hope the Dark Night wins best picture because in my mind it is not like any other super hero movie. To enjoy the movie you didn't have to be a comic book fan; anybody who watched it liked. That is the obvious reason to me why it brought in the most money out of all the movies of the year and deserves to be best picture.
I wish that The Dark Knight wins as well but i still want to see the The Curious Case of Benjamin Button i heard it was really good as well. But they are all great movies!
I will go with either Slumdog Millionaire or The Dark Night...it's a tough choice... Can't wait to see which movie will win! I have yet to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button though.
I think Tropic Thunder at least have to win at least one thing. That movie was just hilarious. Only flaw in that would be is that it cusses way too much. But it sure cracked me up. The movie was one of best comedy movie i saw in my life.
P.S. This really have to do with nothing at all, but this year's grammy nominations are pretty
amazing. Almost all the big names right now in rock history is nominated although i dont think its the oldies best(Chinese Democracy, ahem). However the pop nowadays in grammys is very disappointing in my opinion. Well here are all the list for the rock category:
Rock field
Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
"Gravity" – John Mayer
"I Saw Her Standing There" – Paul McCartney
"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" – Bruce Springsteen
"Rise" – Eddie Vedder
"No Hidden Path" – Neil Young
Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals
"Rock N Roll Train" – AC/DC
"Violet Hill" – Coldplay
"Long Road Out of Eden" – Eagles
"Sex on Fire" – Kings of Leon
"House of Cards" – Radiohead
Best Hard Rock Performance
"Inside the Fire" – Disturbed
"Visions" – Judas Priest
"Wax Simulacra" – The Mars Volta
"Saints of Los Angeles" – Mötley Crüe
"Lords of Salem" – Rob Zombie
Best Metal Performance
"Heroes of Our Time" – DragonForce(they suck)
"Nostradamus" – Judas Priest
"My Apocalypse" – Metallica
"Under My Thumb" – Ministry
"Psychosocial" – Slipknot
Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"Castellorizon" – David Gilmour
"Suicide & Redemption" – Metallica
"34 Ghosts I-IV"[2] – Nine Inch Nails
"Hope (Live for the Art of Peace)" – Rush
"Peaches En Regalia" – Zappa Plays Zappa
Best Rock Song
"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" – Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen, songwriter
"House of Cards" – Radiohead
Radiohead, songwriters
"I Will Possess Your Heart" – Death Cab for Cutie
Death Cab for Cutie, songwriters
"Sex on Fire" – Kings of Leon
Kings of Leon, songwriters
"Violet Hill" – Coldplay
Coldplay, songwriters
Best Rock Album
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends – Coldplay
Rock N Roll Jesus – Kid Rock
Only by the Night – Kings of Leon
Death Magnetic – Metallica
Consolers of the Lonely – The Raconteurs
The Dark Knight was awesome! I really hope that it wins. It was so actiony. I dont really have much interest for action movies, but this one really grabbed my attention for some strange reason. I heard that Benjamin Button was a fantastic movie also. I want to see it so badly!
As of now I hope that The Dark Knight wins because thats the only movie I've seen in the list. I plan to watch Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon but as of now I have to go with the Dark Knight. It has to be the greatest Batman movie hands down. No doubt Batman Begins was a good movie but the Scarecrow doesn't bring all the tension that the Joker did. All the little things Heath Ledger did like licking his lips constantly just put chills down my back. I hope he wins an award.
I want the Dark Night to win. I didnt even see the first couple of movies before it but I loved it. The acting in it was unbelievable, and therefore it HAS to win. lol
Has anyone seen Valkyrie? Its the movie about Hitlers attempted assasination (at least i think its the name). I heard it was good, wondering if it worth seeing or not.
I regret not watching these movies over the break :( I really really really want to watch the Slumdog Millionair after listening to the summary in class the first day.
Oh yeah, I found a website with the "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"- short story. I read the beginning, and I really liked it! And there were so many difference even in those few pages!
Post a Comment