Friday, January 16, 2009

President George W. Bush Bids Farewell to the Nation After 8 Years

Last night, President George Walker Bush bid farewell to the American people in the traditional presidential farewell address. It has been an interesting eight years indeed. The Bush years and the Bush legacy will be one debated for decades to come, a presidency that will likely be remembered most as the time period of the attacks of September 11, 2001, the war on terror being fought on two fronts- Afghanistan and Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and the global financial crisis. His final address to the nation consisted of reflections on his accomplishments, subtly addressing some of his critics, and warning of the dangers of international terrorism. You can read more about his farewell speech by clicking here. Additionally, you can watch an interesting reflection on the Bush presidency courtesy of the BBC by clicking on the following links (Part I and Part II). Below you can see his farewell address. So now we finish one chapter of American history and begin a new one. See you all on Inauguration Day...

16 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL i cant believe he actually didnt know the prime minister of India. I think anyone who has a bad view of him has to admit that he didnt exactly ruin the country. Much worse could have happened under his rule. And i was wondering, is it true the president doesnt actually write any of his speeches?

Trevor D. said...

So i Kinda got questions concerning Afghanistan. Why wouldn't we invest money into infrastructure after we spent so much money into fighting russia covertly? Did we just not care? Would that have helped the situation there and our relationship now? also, knowing the situations on the ground there, do you think congress back then would have reacted any differently?

Unknown said...

wow....this reflection sums up the united states accomplishments over the last 8 years and as a whole we did A LOT! this was powerful because it shows how our weakness i the beginning became strengths.

I particulary liked this quote that he said "there are good and evil in this world...and there is no comprimise"

Paco Treviño said...

He wasn't the worst president ever. in fact i think he started off all right, but i guess im kinda gladd he is stepping off.

Nicole Gustafson said...

Thanks for posting this. I missed the speech and am watching it now.
He may be hated now, by many, but I hope he is still respected in the future.

Nicole Gustafson said...

aw that was a good speech! I liked the end the best, and the story of the 60 yr old man becoming a medical aid in the war because of his son who died fighting...wow, that is increadible. It is usually the other way around.

Anonymous said...

the speech started all dramatic, but it was attention catching. i didn't know america had gone throught so much, for most of it i never lived here, but still...bush wasn't a horrible president, but he wasn't the best. im antcipating obamas inaugral speech on tuesday..

jessicafritz said...

In all honesty, it's really sad that Bush got ragged on so much. He did the best he could. He protected us to the best of his ability during 9/11. For some reason, people to this day still blame him for what happened. It's not like he knew that terrorists were planning something like that. Plus, he is a great person. He's nothing like Bill Clinton who only had one thing on his mind throughout his time as president. I don't need to say what that was, I think it's pretty obvious. I feel so bad for him because all celebrities think it's SO funny to make mean comments about him. I was watching the View today and they said something like "Today is the last day that George W. Bushg will be ruining the nation." Poeple who say things like that show nothing but pure iggnorance and it definitely shows.

Anonymous said...

Mr Prill, I commented on this right after delaney did and i dont see my post! I dont kno what happened, I remember it said that its waitng for approval after i i pushed publish my comment.

It said something like...

Many people think Bush was a really bad president but if you listen to his speech you listen to all the things that were acomplished, despite all the horrible things that have happened to our counry

Ashleigh Stewart said...

I can't believe all of that happened in eight years!! .. at the beginning i was still little so obviously didnt know about most of it and im still a little uninformed but I thought that Bush's farewell speech was good!, i know America has really gone downhill latley but I still don't think he was ever a bad president.

Andi Braemer said...

i gotta say, alot did happen under him being president..
but im glad to see him step down. we need some new ruling. its time for change :]

Prill said...

will he be remembered for an invasion of iraq under the false and erroneous guise of a 9/11 connection (of which there was no connection according to the bipartisan 9/11 commission congressional report) and the destruction of iraqi weapons of mass destruction (of which none ever existed), a mishandled, ill-informed, and rushed iraqi occupation that resulted in an insurgency (that surely history books will later refer to as a civil war once politics is out of the way and we analyze the reality on the ground) that resulted in more loss of life after "victory" was declared than before, the abu gharaib prison scandal (this is too big to ignore), and an embarrassing display of incompetence in the mishandling of the aftermath of hurricane katrina in louisiana and mississippi OR will he be remembered as the first president to recognize a palestine, the president that pumped more money into aids research in africa than any president before him combined, and the president that presided over a country wounded by 9/11 and that created a department of homeland security that has not allowed another attack since its creation? what will this president be remembered for in the history books? at best it's a very mixed and ambiguous legacy. only time will tell how history judges.

Alina said...

i personally am glad that bush is no longer president. i was never a bush fan, but as he went by he made a lot of mistakes, which prill pretty much summed up. to me, his mistakes tended to outway what he did
right. also when it comes to the whole homeland security thing, it can also be remember the wire tapping scandal.

Sean Cox said...

haha he did mess up a lot. The weapons of mass destruction... I remember hearing about that so much and then we didnt find anything.. Also like mr prill said he did screw up katrina pretty bad. He did improve homeland secruity but that was after we got attacked.. And he got us into a war that is costing 10 billion dollars a month to fight. And then people complain about how obamas tax cuts are gonna hurt our economy (which arent even official yet).. i dont get it.

im not saying a hate the guy but im glad he isnt president anymore.

Trevor D. said...

George Bush....Great President, or the GREATEST president.

He is a good man who got caught in a bad situation to deal with. People get caught up in media hype like, " George Bush Doesn't care about black people"-Kanye West, and other such comments that turn the masses into believing Bush is some type of anti-Christ, but we all know the real anti-Christ in Nancy Palosi. Honestly FEMA was a bad system to deal with disasters, and it takes a disaster like Katrina to fix a system.
Honestly it was about time America did something about terrorism, We were attacked at least twice under Clinton and he did not do jack, the attack on the USS Cole and terrorist tried to bomb some other building with a truck, But no one ever notices that.
Other acheivements, as Prill mentioned, Making a Bureau of Homeland Security and making everyone at the airports take off their shoes, A.I.D.S. help in Africa, and providing Americans with thousands upon thousands of laughs at "Bush-isms" and funny mispronunciations as I like to refer to them.
I'm am glad to see the new Obama regime take power in the white house, and hopefully get America out of the financial dumpster that we are in, and to see change on many other issues. The times are a' changin' and Dylan would say and there is no going back.
Lets see how the liberals do....lol

Macy Stucke said...

I think Bush made a great speech. I didn't realize all of what he had to go through in the eight years that he was in office. I can only imagine how stressful it had to be for him. I know that he wasn't the most liked president but I liked him and think he made the best decisions he could at the time.