You know how in some years there emerges a film that is too big too ignore? This year is one of those years, and Slumdog Millionaire is that film. Congratulations Danny Boyle for your beautiful labor of love. I am truly thrilled that this film is being recognized and that it has its supporters. As an AP World History teacher, I'm especially thrilled to see that Slumdog Millionaire is getting so much acclaim because it truly does address some major themes of Indian history during the late part of Season 5. The other big news from tonight, aside from the Slumdog Millionaire sweep, was Kate Winslet's double win for The Reader and Revolutionary Road. What a big night for Ms. Winslet! Congratulations to one of the greatest working actresses that has never won an Oscar or a Globe, despite numerous nominations. Now the Best Actress race becomes the most interesting of all, with Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, and Kate Winslet all in heated competition that will go down to the opening of the envelope. After her gracious speech(es) tonight, I wonder if the Academy will finally be ready to award Ms. Winslet. Only time will tell. Below are tonight's winners...Best Picture (Drama)- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Picture (Comedy/Musical)- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Best Director- Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Screenplay- Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Foreign Language Film- Waltz with Bashir
Best Animated Feature Film- Wall-E
Best Actor (Drama)- Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
Best Actress (Drama)- Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road
Best Actor (Comedy/Musical)- Colin Farrell, In Bruges
Best Actress (Comedy/Musical)- Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Best Supporting Actor- Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress- Kate Winslet, The Reader
Best Original Score- A. R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Song- Bruce Springsteen, "The Wrestler" from The Wrestler
A final congrats to the late Heath Ledger once again (give him an Oscar please!) and the veteran writer and director Woody Allen for being recognized for his best work in years, Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Finally, congrats to Colin Farrell and Mickey Rourke for their awards for their brilliant performances, as both of these men have been historically under-appreciated (or completely out of work in the case of Mickey Rourke). Up next: the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) announces its nominations on Thursday morning. That is the final precursor before Oscar nominations.

11 comments:
I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night, Wall-E had a lot of 2001 references. I thought the film was thought provoking and a joy to watch. I liked how the film left watchers speculate the meaning of the monoloith and such. There were probably a lot of unhappy people who left the theatres angry. What do you think of the film.
i love 2001: a space odyssey. it''s a classical. i've seen it several times. dr. strangelove remains my favorite stanley kubrick film though. barry lyndon #2, space odyssey #3
Has best foreign film ever been animated before?
to my knowledge, no. the triplets of belleville got nominated for BAFTA, but no win. also, remember waltz with bashir is technically a documentary. that may be a first too.
I know this is a little late for a comment but if you're, not asleep Mr. Prill you're looking at this, haha, jk. Anyway House of Saddam ends On Demand Tuesday, the day of our Season Finale. The parts are long, so unfortunately, trying to work them into your schedule will be difficult, but at least you can watch separate parts instead of one huge one, and you can pause, fast forward, and rewind, etc. It was an amazing movie. I loved it, if you get the time to watch it, tell me what you think. The only thing I hated was listening to my dad prove how arrogant most Americans are...His comments really ticked me off...I'd go into further depth, but it would involve spoilers...See ya on Monday Mr. Prill! (This season seemed so short)
YAY!
Go Wall E!
Go Heath Ledger!
Go Slumdog millionaire!
when does it come out on DVD?
The movie website hates me.
Awsome! Slumdog Millionaire won 4 awards! O btw, i love A.R. Rahman's music as well, i've went to one of his concerts in downtown atl a year ago i think. He was good.
I really want to see this movie. Its getting all of these awards! I have talked to several people now that have said that Slumdog Millionaire was an amazing movie.
i still cant believe slumdog millionarie won. i still say nobody really knows what that is. but if it makes prill happy, ill let it go. :]
but ahhhh. i was sooo excited that wall-e won.
A.R Rahman is an excellent composer!he totally rocks! i didn't get to see slumdog millionaire saturday, but i'm gonna watch it...when i find time...when my parents find time...
I am happy that heath ledger won the award. Unfortunatly I am not sure how the next ovie is going to top The Dark Knight. Either they get a brilliant actor to play the villian, or i think many people will be disappointed.
Post a Comment