Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dr. Strangelove Discussion Board

Thanks to all who came out to the film today. As many times as I've seen it now, it still remains just as fresh, just as hilarious, just as disturbing, and just as shocking as the first time I saw it. For those of you that saw it today, what did you think? Feel free to discuss...

Also if you enjoyed today's film, and you are enjoying our discussion regarding the Cold War, I highly recommend George Clooney's 2005 masterpiece Good Night, and Good Luck. The film takes place during the early Cold War as McCarthy's Red Scare is sweeping the country. You can check out the trailer below.

13 comments:

Vanessa J said...

HILARIOUS!!
its so weird how tense the situation was and they made it funny!!
i almost felt bad for laughing...
great film mr.prill!

Alina said...

i didn't come today, but by george i've seen it before anyway so i reserve the right to comment on this.

dude i luv this film. it was an amazing satire of how the u.s. and u.s.s.r. leaders were going to end up just killing everyone if they continued what they were doing. it comedically just shows what really would have happened if there was a nuclear war. what i luv is the the soviets having the doomsday machine, which is really what both sides had.

i also loved the idea that if they went down to a mine shaft they would all be safe. first of all this would be faulty, but second of all i luv how there are the space limitations, kinda pointing out that the instructions that were in the u.s. governments pamphlets on how to survive a nuclear attack really wouldn't work for most people (if anyone). also in saying that they can't have a mine shaft gap, that just kinda made me think of the arms race.

either way, great film.

Lora Persyn said...

Wow, that was hilarious! It was satirical, punny, and full of knee-slapping comedy. Favorite Part: when the ppl at the bomb center thought they were being attacked by the Russians and Mandrake is still trying to get Gen. Ripper to give up the code! And everyone is such an idiot! I loved it! I also couldn't help but notice that by the end everyone is dead, just like the book ending of WATCHMEN (written in the early 80s). Wow, ppl in this time period were really convinced taht this was the end. At least a few could make something hilarious out of it.

Lora Persyn said...

By the way, I love how the same guy who played Dr. Strtangelove also played the president.

Anonymous said...

It was a mix of a bunch of things..i mean some parts i was laughing because of the idiotics of the characters and sometimes i was totally serious because it was wierd. I thought it ws a pretty good film. i especially loved the Jack dude (the one with obsession of fluids)and Dr. Strangelove, who had a hand that he couldn't control..those were the funny parts..it was shocking when the ambassador takes out his watch thingy and presses a button and all you see are mushroom clouds..wow! at first i was like wait, whats going on and then i realize that the world ended and everyone died...so it ended up serious with a deep meaning.

jessicafritz said...

Yea, if I hadn't seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show before, I would say that this was the weirdest moie I've ever seen. It was really funny, yet behind the comedy was truth so I kind of had to think about that while watching it. Good movie all around though.

Prill said...

peter sellers played mandrake too miss persyn

Nicole Gustafson said...

This was hilarious. I loved it. IT's so depressing how much they hate each other, and how far they were willing to go.

Kailey Carroll said...

Ok, Dr. Strangelove...
He had like no significance in the movie! I just kept thinking that he had a stroke or something. But he did know a lot about the Russian bomb..
But it was really funny. When everyone got blown up in the end I felt bad for laughing.

Smurphy said...

Yeah, I was a little confused when Dr. Strangelove just popped in there randomly...
But other than that, I thought the film showed a creative, comical, and very enjoyable perspective of the conflict following WWII. Overall, it was a great movie... and although the intention was for satire, personally, it helped me develop a further understanding in a different view of the nuclear tension between the Soviet Union and the United States in this time.
it sounds silly, but I'm serious, for me, it helped! :)

David Recchia said...

No fighting in the war room! This movie was hilarious yet informative about the uneasy tensions between the us and ussr. There were so many scenes that invloved serious matters yet were stupid and funny at the same time. Also the general was by far my favorite character.

tori_freedman said...

well now i feel stupid for not realizing that peter sellers played three characters... anyway, definitely a very different kind of film. the satire of it all did put an interesting perspective on the real-life situation, and made it funny too! im w/ you sarah, it did help me understand the arms race better... although the last five minutes were quite disturbing...
im gonna have to watch it again sometime, because theres probably so many little jokes here and there that you miss by only watching it once. definitely a good film!

parkthomas said...

if a person hadn't of been in your class during the cold war section, i don't think they would have understood any of the humor.