Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Whapey Awards Season 5 Winners!

Well the USA racked up the most awards with 4, but India takes the big prize in Season 5, joining ranks with Persia, the Byzantine Empire, and Japan--all previous winners of the big prize this year.

Best Government: India


Most Influential Society: USA


Most Influential Person: Gandhi


Best Leader: Mikhail Gorbechev


Worst Leader: Adolf Hitler


Best Conflict: Cold War


Best Social System: USA


Best Economic System: Japan


Best Labor System: USA


Worst Labor System: China


Best Invention: Internet


Worst Invention: Nuclear Weapons


Most Influential Writer: Karl Marx (not alive in Season 5 mind you, but certainly has a huge influence over the season post-mortem)


Best Cultural Contribution: The Motion Picture


All Season Whapeys are coming tomorrow!!!

21 comments:

Nicole Gustafson said...

wow. sounds good! I always get confused with best and worst leader things. Does best leader mean who gatherd the most support, etc. and made the most progress- for the "better" or "worse," and the worst leader be the one who leads terribly, is a failure, tries and fails, etc.? It seems the "worst" leader is considered just the most cruel leader...? Also, I bet we r the only class who says the cold war

Thought said...

Yeah I agree, Hitler was a strong, very able leader, he was cruel, but a very good leader nonetheless. I voted Mao Zedong cause, let's face it, he Epic Fails...
Conflict was tough one, I could've said Israeli-Palestinian, Kashmir, Rwanda, you get the idea, but I think the Cold War was a big turning point in these events. The introduction of nuclear competition has caused increased threats by these conflicts, so...good that Cold War won...
I feel pretty fine with the turnout for these Whapey Awards...

Alina said...

wait a minute how did the U.S. get the best social system? um hello during season five we had issues based on races! hello! civil rights movement! oh and let's not forget the cult of domesticity for women! doesn't anyone remember what kruschev criticized during the kitchen debates?!

wow i can't believe there is an idiot who comment that actually thought hitler was better than mao zedong. yes, ultranationalism and racism is just great. killing millions of people in minorities and putting a country is a worse state is just dandy. mao zedong at least waited until later in his career to go nuts, unlike a guy who wrote a racist novel while sitting in prison.

well prill there is ur answer for why our essays suck.

Vanessa J said...

well i have to agree on mao zedong being a worse leader. im not saying hitler was a good person, because he WASN'T! but his leadership abilities had to be decent to have so many followers that would do everything he said and would justify (well they thought they could justify killing millions- it was wrong, but hitler made them believe it was right) killing people under his rule. and he did have a lot of victories in the war (until later). not that he was good! hitler = BAD

but mao completely ruined china. famine over and over, loss of all educated people because he thought it was a good idea to have teenage students take over!!, yeah bad leader. but china did eventually rise back up, economically and all, while germany had those separation issues hurting he country (that was more of the allies fault i think).

overall i don't think that anyone was being an idiot voting mao over hitler as worst leader. and just because people have different opinions isn't why our essays were terrible! its called not practicing enough.

i still wanted the palestine-israeli conflict to win.. oh well the cold war was kinda important.. (that was sarcasm- it was more than kinda important i suppose)

Alina said...

i was actually naming idiots for those who call hitler a good leader. zedong was at least stable at the beginning of his political career.

Alina said...

and i really didn't mean that the opinion made the essays bad...it was actually just an extra insult...

Alec Livaditis said...

i agree the the categories are vague, and Alina that is why i put post Cold War U.S. for social system.

As for best labor system I think Japan should have won, like Becca pointed out they had a we outlook on industry and economy. Zaibatsus were effective in making Japan an economic power house.

Right now I am reading Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution, it depicts the turbulance well.

On Mao Zedong, I think his relationship with women's rights needs an inspection. I found this on his marriage law passed in 1950, giving women and men "free choice" in marriage. It also prohibitted infanticide and allows for women to request divorce.

http://books.google.com/books?id=O0TQ_Puz-w8C&pg=PA225&lpg=PA225&dq=mao+zedong+marriage+law+1950&source=bl&ots=NyES4xwWfy&sig=-LmFCXfL8KHIIBwfRfEZHPher-w&hl=en&ei=TB4CSpv3J5_htgeF3sSNBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Alina said...

lol alec the idiot comment didn't apply to the social system part, that i just politely (in a manner of speaking)disagreed with. yea...during cold war...couldn't win...

Henry A. said...

so glad hitler won worst leader. it would be an outrade if anybody else got it besides that terrible guy.

Vanessa J said...

its ok alina, i was just standing up for my opinion! i tend to go a little overboard- sorry!
:)

Anonymous said...

Alec, I read the Red Scarf Girl also. I thought it was a really good book but now I see that i didn't fully understand it without the experience of this class. So that's one ill put on the list for this summer. For anyone who has never read it its about a young female's belief in Chairman Mao and the Communist Party, and her family. I recommend it if your looking for something to read and its easy to understand and pretty short

Taylor Hammond said...

I think this is the best whapey awards ever. It lts people look back to all of what we learned.

Anonymous said...

all the winners seem deserving i guess....mr.prill i want to suggest a film that i think is great, cause its about how the bomb and stuff are effecting the people and their response in India..its called Wednesday or A Wednesday i forgot...it doesn't seem true but it shows the intense problems and corruption

madison archer said...

I don't know if I agree with India as best government. It definitely had its share of problems but I agree with all the other winners.

Mr.Curtis said...

what season 5 movies are there? Hitler was a bad person who had no moral sense at all but to the some Nazi's he was a good leader because he was able to conquer land; similar to the terriorist- freedom fighter analogy.

Macy Stucke said...

i didn't get to vote on these but i really do agree with most of the winners. I definitely think that USA should have gotten most influential and they did.

Monica Enlow said...

hmm. i don't really think india was the best government. but i would give it the rookie achievement award if that were an option. (:

but with me, it was a tie between the sino-sparrow war and the cold war. it was a pretty tough call there. d:

but i don't agree that the u.s. had the best social system. we had A LOT of problems on the home front during season 5, so that one is a little if-fy for me.

Anonymous said...

yeah whatever guys...The Mao Vs. SParrows was hilarious....THAT deserves to be SEASON FIVE's WHAPEY AWARD WINNER for BEST COnfLICT!

Lora Persyn said...

YES!!! YES YES YES!! COLD WAR WON!!! I was rooting for it all the way!!!
Go India!
Go Japan!

Alec Livaditis said...

Hey Prill, can you bring that Pixar book back Friday? Looking forward to Up? Looks Benjamen-Button esque in that it focusses on re-exemaning aging and the eldergly.

Brooke Sapp said...

good good good. =] I'd agree with most of these =]