Hello all, I hope that everyone is enjoying their first day of vacation. As the year draws to a close, we will be looking back on this blog at the year that was 2008. One of the things that I eagerly anticipate at the end of every year is Time Magazine's announcement of its Person of the Year. One of the great things about this award is it goes to the most notorious figure of the year. It's not necessarily a heroic figure (for example, Joseph Stalin won in 1942 and Ayatollah Khomeini won in 1979), but oftentimes it is (for example, Winston Churchill won in 1949 and Martin Luther King, Jr. won in 1963), and some years their choices are a bit abstract (in 1982 the computer won, and in 2006 the winner was "you"). The winner of 2008's Person of the Year is a bit more traditional than 06's, and it is President-Elect Barack Obama. This comes as no surprise considering this is the name that has dominated the news throughout 2008. Who did he beat out? One runner-up to Obama for person of the year was Secretary of Treasury Henry Paulson who is in the news almost every day since the financial crisis caught serious fire. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has also been a mainstay in the news throughout the year, and has emerged as quite the iconic character, so it comes as no surprise he was a runner-up. When I think about the year 2008, Obama will likely come to mind first, but the name that will come to mind second is none other than Alaska's Governor Sarah Palin, who also finished as a runner-up. Finally, the last runner-up was a pleasant surprise for me, but I was so glad to see his name because he is one of my favorite film directors of all time-- Chinese film director Zhang Yimou. He's a Person of the Year runner-up this year because on the eighth day of the eighth month of 2008, he directed an unforgettable opening ceremony to the Beijing Olympics. In any case, the winner in 2008 is Barack Obama, and for good reason. You can take the time to read the Time Magazine report on Person of the Year 2008 by clicking here. I'll be back tomorrow for the "Pictures of the Year," which is also a fun feature of the year in review.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Person of the Year 2008- Barack Obama
Hello all, I hope that everyone is enjoying their first day of vacation. As the year draws to a close, we will be looking back on this blog at the year that was 2008. One of the things that I eagerly anticipate at the end of every year is Time Magazine's announcement of its Person of the Year. One of the great things about this award is it goes to the most notorious figure of the year. It's not necessarily a heroic figure (for example, Joseph Stalin won in 1942 and Ayatollah Khomeini won in 1979), but oftentimes it is (for example, Winston Churchill won in 1949 and Martin Luther King, Jr. won in 1963), and some years their choices are a bit abstract (in 1982 the computer won, and in 2006 the winner was "you"). The winner of 2008's Person of the Year is a bit more traditional than 06's, and it is President-Elect Barack Obama. This comes as no surprise considering this is the name that has dominated the news throughout 2008. Who did he beat out? One runner-up to Obama for person of the year was Secretary of Treasury Henry Paulson who is in the news almost every day since the financial crisis caught serious fire. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has also been a mainstay in the news throughout the year, and has emerged as quite the iconic character, so it comes as no surprise he was a runner-up. When I think about the year 2008, Obama will likely come to mind first, but the name that will come to mind second is none other than Alaska's Governor Sarah Palin, who also finished as a runner-up. Finally, the last runner-up was a pleasant surprise for me, but I was so glad to see his name because he is one of my favorite film directors of all time-- Chinese film director Zhang Yimou. He's a Person of the Year runner-up this year because on the eighth day of the eighth month of 2008, he directed an unforgettable opening ceremony to the Beijing Olympics. In any case, the winner in 2008 is Barack Obama, and for good reason. You can take the time to read the Time Magazine report on Person of the Year 2008 by clicking here. I'll be back tomorrow for the "Pictures of the Year," which is also a fun feature of the year in review.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow i think its kinda funny how the winner and runner up are both politicians, although it is understandable, and then the next person is a film director. However, I'm happy for u cuz he made the list lol. have a good break Mr. Prill!!!
lol. I love how you still do this sort of thing even on breaks. But we do what we enjoy on breaks, and this is yours. By the way, I read The Curious Case of... It was very good. Not as amazing as I had hoped, but the overall concept and idea was/is thought provoking. I am still planning on seeing the movie. I hope the movie is better than the book, though, and by the trailers and knowing the directior, I expect it will be. The short story was highly unromantic and not at all like a fairy tale as the trailers are hinting at it being like, but I think that is just the director's flare to it. The plot would surely have been enriched. I read the story in under the 2 hrs that is the movie length.
Well, hope it is as goo das i'm hoping. Have a relaxing break, Mr. Prill.
I can understand that. I mean I'm not a fsan of his by any means but I see why he was the number one choice. It'll be interesting to see how this year pans out.
Happy belated birthday!
Post a Comment