Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Round Two of Awards Season Results in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Milk" Emerging as Frontrunners

This morning the second major critics organization of awards season, the Broadcast Film Critics Association chimed in with their nominations for 2008. While Slumdog Millionaire made a good showing of 6 total nominations, David Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Gus Van Sant's Milk both came out of the nominations process with 8 nominations each. I'm a huge fan of the original short story of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I am very excited by the film's recent success. I have been hyping this one up since last April, just ask any of my students from last year. I can't wait to see it when it is released here in Atlanta in a couple of weeks. 2008 has indeed been yet another year of quality film making and as a result we have a wide open awards race. The Dark Knight and Frost/Nixon both also appear to be strong contenders early on in this race. At any rate, here are some of the highlights of this morning's nominations... Oh, and congrats to Mongol yet another Best Foreign Film nomination, yet again righting the wrongs of last season's Whapey Awards...

BEST PICTURE
Changeling
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Wall-E
The Wrestler

BEST ACTOR
Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

BEST ACTRESS
Kate Beckinsale - Nothing But the Truth
Cate Blanchett - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey, Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
James Franco - Milk

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Vera Farmiga - Nothing But the Truth
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
Kate Winslet - The Reader

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Milk
Rachel Getting Married

BEST DIRECTOR
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight
Gus Van Sant - Milk

BEST WRITER (Original or Adapted Screenplay)
Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire
Dustin Lance Black - Milk
Peter Morgan - Frost/Nixon
Eric Roth - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley - Doubt

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Wall-E
Waltz With Bashir

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
A Christmas Tale
Gomorrah
I’ve Loved You So Long
Let the Right One In
Mongol
Waltz With Bashir

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
I.O.U.S.A.
Man On Wire
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired
Standard Operating Procedure
Young At Heart
So there you have it folks. Up next: the Los Angeles Film Critics Association announces their winners later this evening.

13 comments:

Nicole Gustafson said...

WOHOO!!!! I am SOOOOO excited to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!!!!!! I didn't know it's a book!!!? And famous author, apparently, yet I've never heard of it. :D :D :D

Ji Young Chung said...

I want to watch that so much!!!
Isn't it like some man aging backwards? I should go and watch this after finals:)

Prill said...

yeah you seriously need to read the short story by fitzgerald miss gustufson. it really is fascinating at its very core. it only takes an hour or so to read actually, but it seriously changed the way i view the aging process. you could say the book changed my life, because it truly has.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

to me, he Curious Case of Benjamin Button doesnt seem that interesting, but ive been wrong before...and im EXCITED about the release of the Dark Night on blu ray, cause im getting it and watching it in my home theatre!!

Leeshah said...

I really want to watch this movie. but who knew there was a book? What happens at the end though if he is aging backwards? Is he going to become like a fetus or something?

Henry A. said...

Benjamin Button looks so good. I cannot wait to see it. Never knew there was a book. Might have to read it first before I see it. Cant wait regardless.

Vanessa J said...

i wanted to see the curious case of benjamin button, but ill have to read the book first. but it sounds like itd be a better book than a movie (but isnt that the way it usually goes?)

RachaelGarton said...

Even though this movie didn't win, I still want to go see it in theaters. It looks really good, it looks so interesting when they show him slowly becoming younger as his love is growing older. I didn't know it was a book... i want to read it now...
and hahahah Leeshah (:

Taylor Hammond said...

so are we supposed to vote for are favorite film from each category? I'm confused.

Prill said...

you don't have to do anything miss hammond. these are merely nominations that the bfca announced earlier in the week. they will vote on the winners in about a month. film is the art form i'm most passionate about, so i am always excited about awards season at the end of the year, and the road to oscar, so i'm just sharing the news with you all to tip you off on what is actually quality filmmaking going on.

maddiewatson said...

I've wanted to see this movie since I saw the first preview! It looks so awesome hah I remember when I saw him as a baby/old man thing I was so confused. I didn't know there was a book though so I'm probably going to have to read that hah. But the books are always better and it just disappoints me haha.

Anonymous said...

wow, so im really not up to date on my films for 2008.. i have not even heard about this one :/ it looks very good though! it must be by all the ratings its getting. ill have to see this during the break!

angiem said...

so i cant saw much about these movies because i havent seen them yet, but i have heard many good thing about the curious case of benjamin button! i myself want to see that soon!! (: