Thursday, December 18, 2008

Пока до января (Goodbye Until January)

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a pleasure working with you for the past 18 weeks. I hope you have found the first semester to be enlightening, and I equally hope that you are already eagerly anticipating what lies ahead second semester. There is only one more thing I'd like to know from you guys. Remember at the beginning of the year when we discussed the idea of world view? After an entire semester under you belt, how has your world view been affected by this class? I hope to see you all again in January for the second part of Season 3. Additionally, the Season 4 premiere will be here very soon! Enjoy the break! And again, think about your world view back in August, and compare it to now? What, if anything, has changed?

Be on the lookout for the 2008 Year in Review next week!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My world view is totally different than before, the other day i drew a map of the world to show someone something and i saw that i had drawn china, the middle east and europe and south america bigger than north america. also it was way more detailed. personally this semester was interesting and intense. i actually hope it remains like that next semester, cause i like it to be intense. I didn't get to say bye, to u, so bye mr.prill! have an awesome holiday!

Trevor D. said...

Red Square?
I've always known that history was bias to European benevolence, but little did I know the extent of the bias-ness. I owe my completely new world view to you Mr. Prill, and I thank you for opening my eyes to a new, realistic, and more diverse view of the world that I would have never been able to obtain without your guidance.
This is more than a class to me, it is so interesting to me to learn how interaction between people hundreds or even thousands of years ago shape our society today.
And to think, we still have another semester! Can't wait....

cori kempshall said...

Ive learned in this semester that my veiw of the world was far from normal and how chaotic things can become. I never would have seen the world like this if it werent for this class. Thanx Mr. Prill! Have a good break!!!

Alina said...

it was less change world view and just made me more aware of the world. i knew that what we always learned was euro-centric, though like dixon i didn't realise how much.

Anonymous said...

I ENJOYEd working with you too Mr. Prill. I have learned so much. Now I can look at the US and Look at Canada or whereever and explain WHY things are a certain way...Nobody could every tell me why the pacific ocean is called the pacific ocean...or why we say "well she woke up on the wrong side of the bed"....or why quebec is ALL french ppl and the rest of Canada isn't !!! But I learned it in this class.
I LOVE AP WORLD!!!

P.s. did you see the video yet?? heheh. I understand if you are still completely dissillusioned (SP?)

P.S.S. I also learned that England is an island..not really but it was a great geography re-enforcement.

Lora Persyn said...

GOODBYE!
I love you all and I'll miss you!

I would say more, but I'll be in the car for the next 5 hours and I need to prepare.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

the first semester changed my view of the world. Europe and Asia seems to be more important to me than it was. i never thought that Asia and Europe had soo much interesting and world-changing history. I've learned how wars start and how wars can change the world. And how trading brought the Black Death to Europe.
Have a great holiday Mr.Prill
Peace...

jessicafritz said...

My world view has changed so much. Firstly, I don't trust Disney at ALL with historical accuracy anymore and secondly, now that I'm more well informed about how corrupt certain people really were, I can tell my brother that he's wrong when he says how great Columbus was. I think I actually used the phrase "in yo momma's world history class..." I see China as a much more intelligent because I know that they were the ones with the great ideas and inventions not the europeans. I already knew that the europeans were horrible to the natives, I just didn't know to what extent. It's much worse and makes me see Europe in a much lower sense. I see everywhere alse I didn't think was "sophisticated" as VERY sophisticated. Thanks for a great semester Mr. Prill, I'm looking forward to the next. Have a Wonderful Festivus (for the rest of us)!

Jordyn Farrell said...

I never have really learned about the history of China and Japan, so that was a major eye opener for me. I was aware of Africa and the slave trade, but I never knew about the Ghana and Mali empires and the fact that they were trading with the rest of the Eastern hemisphere. I learned to see how certain events would make the world tick the way it is today. Thank you, Mr. Prill for opening up my eyes more.

Katelyn Niemann said...

okay, personally, if someone had asked me what the oldest event i could name in history, it would either be european-based or really vague. i had no idea who the mongols were(or even existed...), couldn't name a single chinese dynisty, or basically anything. my views of the world are so much broader, more elaborate and themes and events are slowly being put into place and random things make sense now... can't wait for you to yell at us all even more for only knowing what we've been taught our whole lives... tho i must say, i actually enjoy your class prob. the most...

Lora Persyn said...

The world suddenly makes a lot more sense because of this class.