Wednesday, December 31, 2008

In Memoriam- 2008

As we say goodbye to 2008, let us also take the time to say goodbye to those that have left us in 2008. For better or for worse, the following 43 people changed the world, the way people think, what people valued, what gave people people joy, what gave people sorrow, etc. You can read the full story on any or all of them by clicking here. Without any further ado, let us take the time to say goodbye and reflect on the lives and legacies of these individuals...


William F. Buckley, 1925-2008


George Carlin, 1937-2008


Cyd Charisse, 1921-2008


Michael Crichton, 1942-2008


Mahmoud Darwish, 1944-2008


Michael Debakey, 1908-2008


Anne d'Harnoncourt, 1943-2008


Bo Diddley, 1928-2008


Bobby Fischer, 1943-2008


Gary Gygax, 1938-2008


Grace Hartigan, 1922-2008


Isaac Hayes, 1942-2008


Jesse Helms, 1921-2008


Charlton Heston, 1923-2008


Edmund Hillary, 1919-2008


Adrian Kantrowitz, 1918-2008


Heath Ledger, 1979-2008


Sherman Lee, 1918-2008


Mildred Loving, 1939-2008


Bernie Mac, 1957-2008


Miriam Makeba, 1932-2008


Jim McKay, 1921-2008


Anthony Minghella, 1954-2008


Paul Newman, 1925-2008


Odetta, 1930-2008


Bettie Page, 1923-2008


Randy Pausch, 1960-2008


Suzanne Pleshette, 1937-2008


Sydney Pollack, 1934-2008


Robert Rauschenberg, 1925-2008


Tim Russert, 1950-2008


Yves Saint Laurent, 1936-2008


Tony Snow, 1955-2008


Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 1918-2008


Suharto, 1921-2008


Studs Terkel, 1912-2008


Jørn Utzon, 1918-2008


David Foster Wallace, 1962-2008


Arthur C. Clarke, 1917-2008


Jörg Haider, 1950-2008


Imad Mughniyah, 1962-2008


Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 1918-2008


Dith Pran, 1942-2008

I would finally just like to make mention at this time of two people that I love that have also left us in the year 2008, my father's aunt and uncle, Norma and Lou Griffin. My aunt Norma died in the Summer. She was an excellent golfer who won several small tournaments back in her day. I still remember her golf lessons that she gave me when I was a little boy. Aside from being a great golfer she was a wonderful human being. What I'll always remember of my aunt Norma is her infectious smile that lit up a room and her ready-to-do-anything attitude that was contagious. Last week, her husband of many decades, Lou Griffin, followed behind his wife in death. Shortly after his wife's death, he emotionally fell apart. There was no way we was able to live without her. What I will always remember about my uncle Lou is his kind heart. My grandmother (his half-sister) has always been disabled, being born with one leg shorter than the other. She always talks about how when she was younger, people would make fun of her limp, and how her brother Lou would never join in, but always treated her with kindness and dignity. After getting to know my uncle Lou myself, I can honestly say that he never had an angry bone in his body. He was one of the most gentle-hearted individuals I have ever known. He was a good man, but also a good father, and a good husband. Lou and Norma Griffin were truly a happily married couple that truly shared a bond of friendship and love. I look at them as an ideal example of how a marriage should work, and I only hope to be able to follow in their example of kindness. Goodbye to all we have lost in 2008, and goodbye to 2008. On behalf of the entire World History Team at North Gwinnett High School, this is Roger Prill giving a final farewell for 2008 and wishing you all a successful 2009.

3 comments:

Nicole Gustafson said...

an incredible year...
Rest in peace all, and my sympathies, Mr. Prill.
Welcome to a new year!

Smurphy said...

Awww thats extremely depressing. I hate that this list is so long, it makes me really sad that we lost some pretty tight people in 2008.

Props to Heath Ledger.... I read the article for him, and the one word that stood out to me in the very last sentence was audacious. I definitely agree, and I admire Heath Ledger!

Bye 2008!

Henry A. said...

Most people would say that Heath Ledger is their most missed(Dark Knight). But for me, the most amazing man is Randy Pausch. The way he went through lifes with no regrets is just incredible. All the ones that left us were incredible though. R.I.P.