Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If You Have the Opportunity, Watch FRONTLINE Tonight at 9pm on PBS or Online Anytime

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now exactly 3 weeks away from a historic election day. As we get closer to elections, you can be sure that the level of propaganda surrounding both candidates will escalate. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to just get pure, unadulterated, good information regarding the presidential candidate's records, policies, and personal life stories, even from major news networks that are supposed to just deliver the news. The good news is that PBS still continues to provide quality programming without the aim of swaying the public in one direction or the other, but instead to provide real information to the viewer, and to give the viewer enough credit to make his or her own informed decision in the end. The PBS program Frontline, in particular, has been providing such information for decades. Tonight, at 9pm, don't miss the Frontline special- The Choice 2008. This special is always fantastic every election year, and tonight's special promises to be particularly good. No mud-slinging, no character assassinations, nothing overly politicized, just the real information about both John McCain and Barack Obama without any of the fluff that you're probably all tired of. This is a historic year that your children and grandchildren will one day study about in school to be sure. With that in mind, please be as informed as possible about both candidates without simply relying on things you hear while out with friends, or on less-than-reliable news programs, or on talk radio. Tonight's episode of Frontline will be a perfect start in helping you to get to know both candidates from a truly balanced perspective. If you were not able to watch it at 9, you can simply watch it online anytime by clicking here. Addtionally, there is a TON of information on both candidates you can research on this site regarding their positions on issues that effect you, as well as their personal histories. This is a GREAT SITE! In closing folks, take the time to get to know the Senators. Feel free to leave your respectful thoughts on the program after watching it on TV or online. By the way, I think the photo above really captures the essense of both candidates better than anything I've seen previously, don't you?

34 comments:

Macy Stucke said...

I am glad that they are doing this because I still do not have a clear understanding of what the two potential presidents believe in because you will watch one thing and it will say something and then the next thing you watch will say something completely different. I can't believe that in three short weeks we will know who our next president will be.

Ji Young Chung said...

yay! i haven't missed it yet! it's 8:58pm and i'm going to go watch it. I definitely need this because i don't know anything about the upcoming election :(

Anonymous said...

The future presidential candidacy is compared to that of George Washington (building the country), Abraham Lincoln (resoving the Civil War), and Franklin Delano Roosevelt (working through the Great Depression). That would be a LOT of pressure on these presidential candidates right now.

cori kempshall said...

I personally still want John McCain to win even after watching this because I don't agree with Obama's plans for our country and I don't think that he has had enough experience in office either. Just my thoughts.

Prill said...

i'm glad you saw the program miss kempshall. i honestly got home late tonight, so i have been watching it online. i'm always impressed with pbs' balance. i've seen the first 40 minutes or so, so far and i've enjoyed watching both candidates get fairly equal time. oh, and i'm loving the vintage photos of mccain and obama!

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

mann i missed it... guess ill see it online. ne ways um, so for the dbq, do 1-3 period people take it as well?
and i remember you saying that we have reading tonight, but no reading is stated in the calender..

Prill said...

remember i gave you guys a new calander??? remember i said the dbq is rescheduled for next friday? you have a reading tonight 375-383.

Akshay Gopalakrishnan said...

OHHH i remember!!!! lol i got it. i think the psat is messing with my brain
... lol ive been kinda slow today.

Spectre82 said...

I havent watched the program yet, but i will. I will definetly say that i dont know enough. I will start to now research about the presidential candidates, and about all of the current events and the complexity of the government.

Anonymous said...

the program seemed really interesting, cause i learne alot about the candidates that i didn't no about earlier. i didnt no that mcain hates bush, that can change some people's thoughts about mcain(i no im spelling the name wrong), the things they said about obama were also surprising because they said that he led something against harvard or something. that is cool!

tori_freedman said...

so i just sent you an email but i think i sent it to your school one. oops... anyway i attatched a sound clip that my mom had received in a chain email from the Howard Stern radio show. basically they had a man go to the streets of harlem, ny and ask the people who they are voting for and why. the answers the people give are SCARY!! one guy said that he didnt agree with mccain b/c he was PRO-CHOICE AND WANTED TO TAKE THE TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ....??! these people are so incredibly uneducated on simple issues! and all three interviewees agreed that sarah palin was a good running mate for BARACK OBAMA!! i mean, do these people not pay attention to ANYTHING?! it scares me that these are the same people who will be deciding our next president in possibly the most critical election in our history!
i think all americans should watch informational programs like this so that actaully get the right facts. maybe if ESPN agreed to show this program, more people would see it and get to know each candidate and decide for themselves rather than going with whatever the media tells them!! haha :)

Andi Braemer said...

um could someone tell me what time the debate is on?

and after watching most of the frontline thingie. i like the histroy of mccain. he definitiy won my vote with his policies and the hating bush thing [i cant standdd himmm!!!]

Geena Kim said...

I'm REALLY glad that there's a program like this.
I already knew a bit about both of the candidates, but I never knew that Bush & McCain had beef between them!? Woahhhh, it was random xd
But, because I watched some of the program in class, I got to learn a bit more about them ;)

Taylor Hammond said...

I think this was a really helpful show i know that my mom wasn't really sure who she wanted to vote for because i don't really think she new a lot about each person and wanted they believed but i'll make sure she watches this!

angiem said...

im planning on finishing the rest of what we didnt watch later tonight. but im happy you put this up mr.prill, because although i have a 'favortie' candidate, this video seems to help me understand the Obama and McCain's background better. ALl the fake informatiuon news gives us brainwases my head into thinking something that could be false about them. This im sure will clear things up for me! (:

maddiewatson said...

This was so helpful in really knowing what each person was standing for. Thanks Prill! (:

Anonymous said...

Im wathcing the one on pbs right now. i think its interested to see their different views. but bob the plumber will be in better hands with mccain. they say obama is 'spreading out the taxes' so the middle/low will lower taxes but the taxes lost will be put on the people that make more money. i dont really see the point in this because people are still pying taxes and it doesnt seem like a tax "cut".

on the other hand, you know how we talked aout how mccain hated bush, at this moment obama is saying to mccain that he is just like bush and its going to be another 8 years of the same thing. why so?

Theresa Dang said...

I'm glad i this is a video because i am sooo tired of reading for some reason. But i did do my reading for tomorrow's quiz :]

After watching this, i don't really know for sure who i want to be our next president. My parents are going for McCain and they would probably think im weird or stupid if i went for obama. But i don't really care about what they think right now because im stuck in the middle. Well i thought this was pretty interesting. I guess it's nice to know a little something about our future president, whoever it is gonna be. Some how, to me, this is the most interesting presidential election. Maybe because i actually know what's going on. Or maybe because i have NEVER EVER cared for any of our past presidents.

&& i thought it was kinda funny when it showed mccain smoking when he was telling what happened to him when he was captured by north vietnam.

Leeshah said...

I think this was really informative and the good thing about it is that it didnt just lean to one side. It gave the story without being biased. Oh, i was watching the final debate, and they were talking about taxes and reducing them in the beginning. I really liked the story McCain gave about the plumber too. It showed the point he was trying to make in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you put this up here Mr. Prill because I have yet to see a PRESIDENTIAL debate. Although I did get the chance to watch the vp debate. Hopefully this will clear things up about the two candidates...even though I'm not voting....

Anonymous said...

it was very interesting seeing how they started to prepare for being a president and their pictures from when they we younger. Go JOHN MCCAIN!!

Anonymous said...

i want to add onto leeshah's comment about the taxes, i think that was pretty easily said by mccain that he wanted to lower taxes for EVERYONE, and he kept on critiqueing obama becasue on his idea of taxation the low/middle class pay less taxes than the higher class. i dont really like this idea because who said you can make the wealthier pay more? I would not be happy if i had to pay even higher taxes. in comparison, mcain wants to lower taxes for all. this is pretty broad. and im not against mccain, but taxes are there forhuge reasons and they support almost everything, and he wants to lower then. I think a better way to look at this situation is to see the circumstances it would take to lower the taxes. what would make the prices drop, the oil drop, the taxes also to drop? i know the united states has a enormous amount of money saved up but how will lowering taxes now affect tthe time now and in the future.

hochanlee said...

i watched the first 45 minutes of the debate last night. It seems that the two candidates actually have solid plan for the world including this country. However as i did not saw the entire thing i only know the beginning

B Sapp said...

At first, I liked McCain but then when I was watching this, they are equal. I don't like either of them, but I also like both of them a lot. AH! I HATE POLITICS

Unknown said...

with what u said today in class about Obama wanting to raise taxes for wealthy people so it can be distributed for the poor it really made me start to think. i really havent cared all that much about the politics but that just seems wrong to me. and watching this video was like a politics for dummies thanks
oh and btw the last two questions were covered in tonight's reading not last nights

Prill said...

i'm glad that many of you have found this program useful. perhaps you'll watch more frontline and become a fan like me. at any rate, i do want to clarify one thing. in terms of the obama taxation plan, yes, he plans to tax the top 5% incomes in america more. that money, though, is not exactly to be re-distributed. essentially the plan is to cut the taxes of 95% of americans, and put that's what would put more money in their pockets. it's not DIRECTLY being taken from the rich and given to everybody else. this is not a robin hood situation. i just wanted to clear that up.

Ankur Shah said...

Personally, I feel that the McCain tax policy and his beliefs in the "trickle down effect" are completely bogus. Blake, you're kinda mistaken when you say McCain wants to lower taxes for everyone. He wants to lower taxes for a very small percentage of people that hold the largest percentage of America's wealth. They are paying a lower tax % than people that make less than $250,000 a year. The people that make less money are barely getting any tax relief while the big corporations are getting the most. I feel that lowering tax for the rich is a bad way to go because it just increases the wealth disparity. History shows that drastic decline always follows the extreme differentiation between the rich and poor. 5% of the population holds like 90% of the money (exaggerated numbers). A lot of people say, well, if you give to the rich, they will make jobs. But if you give to the poor, they will spend money and jobs will be created to fill that extra demand.

Here's a good chart for tax-cut comparison
http://www.stefanhayden.com/blog/2008/06/14/tax-cuts-obama-vs-mccain/

A good thing to notice is the percent of tax decrease. McCain's tax plan has a 2% tax decrease, resulting in less money for the government, while barely providing any relief for those that need it the most. Obama's on the other hand, has only a .3% tax decrease, while making sure that those that need tax relief get it the most.

Paco TreviƱo said...

i didnt see front line but i did see the debate and i think its funny how each candidate declines the alegations that the other one does. i also think its funny that mccain never really answered a question but just waffeled around it or just said what obama had done wrong

cori kempshall said...

Ok, well like we were discussing in class today, this debate was the best. They got to a more personal level. However, even though the question was asked I think it was dumb on how they went on for ten minutes about how their compaigning techniques were negative. I think McCain won the debate overall becuase he threw some hard punches and Obama just sat there and took it and never really fired back. Just my thoughts on the debate.

KelseyBengochea said...

yeah I'm happy you postedthis up here... I've watched bits and pieces, but it's really cool! you were right when you said that it showed both sides of the equation.

Adam Printz said...

After watching the debate i thought that both showed bad and good opions on some of topics. I thought the whole Plumber story was funny and how they used him alot as examples. Overall i still do not know who would be a better president

Henry A. said...

The program really showed the McCain and Obama. I thought it was funny how they out a little humor in there like McCain mocking the reporters about supporting Bush when he clearly could not stand being next to Bush. Classic stuff.

Kaleb Swanda said...

I'm a bit late on this because i wanted to take my time to watch this special. I think this is pretty intresting that both of these canidates are protrayed equally. I also think that Obama is pretty unique in the fact that he has only been in the public eye for 4 years to already be the demicrat choice for president. I think it is pretty cool that Mccain was concidered the "prince" when he was a POW.

Elizabeth Frere said...

i know it is late and that this is pretty old but better late than never right?? haha okay so i love the fact that they gave the back ground of both canidates. i thought it was interesting that they called senator mccain a prince.