Monday, October 6, 2008

Mogadishu Before and After: A Tale of Two Cities

As we read the great Islamic law scholar, qadi (judge), and traveler Ibn Battuta's timeless accounts of his travels throughout Dar al-Islam, I find my heart constantly broken. Of course we all know at this point that all societies rise and fall eventually, but the tragedy of the African continent I find particularly painful. During the time of Ibn Battuta, the Islamic World was the clear world power, and areas of sub-Saharan Africa certainly enjoyed much of the benefits of prosperity. Today we had the opportunity, as a class, to look at the realities of the prosperous east coast of Africa, thanks to the words of Ibn Battuta (which, by the way, I am posting on here due to popular demand. You can click here to pull up today's reading), who gives us more insight into that world during that time than any other single person. One of the great cities of that time period was the city of Mogadishu. Ibn Battuta described Mogadishu as "a town of enormous size" whose "inhabitants [were] merchants possessed of vast resources." This was a city that was also a center for the education of emerging young scholars in Islamic law. What is Mogadishu now? I was dishearteningly reminded about what Mogadishu is now when I asked this simple question to all classes today: Mogadishu is the capital of what modern country? I literally could hear a pin drop in most classes. The vast majority of students had no idea of the very existence of this once great and now shattered city. I find this painful for two reasons: (1) If I asked the capital of, say, South Dakota, and nobody knew, that would be one thing, but Mogadishu was at one time one of the world's great and properous cities. (2) The reality of Mogadishu is that this city is now dying the most painful of deaths. Somalia's capital has been one of the most hostile and dangerous places on the planet since the 1990s, and it just continues to degenerate into violence. The fate of Mogadishu is even more sad because it seems that NOBODY even cares to notice. The segment of the population that my heart goes out to the most is the families, especially the children. In this time period of financial crisis in America, so many of us worry about job availability, 401k plans, college loans, and whether or not we'll be able to get that car our parents promised us. Granted, these are well-warranted fears, but on the other side of the world in Mogadishu, 1.1 million have been uprooted from their homes with absolutely nowhere to go in just the last nine months (40,000 in just the past few weeks!). This is a no-end-in-sight war zone that has turned Somalia into the "ultimate failed state." The Mogadishu of Ibn Battuta's day this is not. Please ladies and gentlemen, take the time to read and comment on the latest news out of Mogadishu that you can read here. Additionally, because so many are not at all aware of the current dire state of affairs in Somalia, it would be wise to educate yourself a little more on the situation. As always, the BBC is the best source to turn to. As I've said so many times, the BBC is the only English language news source that actually gives readers the opportunity to research the backgrounds of current news stories in order to gain fuller understanding. The BBC has an excellent page called "Somalia in Crisis" that they have been consistently updating since 2004. You can look at that page by clicking here. You may also find it useful to watch some video filmed on the ground by reporters there, and you can look at such video by clicking here. Please folks, now is the appropriate time to look at the current state of affairs in Mogadishu as we study about its grand past. Aside from the need to read my post by Ibn Battuta below on the blog, you have no assigned reading tonight, or at all this week. Therefore, take the time now to educate yourselves on the current situation there, understanding that history is not a simple study of the past, but something that must always be connected to TODAY. Talk about such things with your parents and friends. Eliminating ignorance of a situation is the first step in working towards a solution. My heart goes out to the people of Somalia. While we merely talk about collapse, and make predictions about collapses, the people of Mogadishu and the entire country of Somalia watch their once great city described by Ibn Battuta collapse before their eyes. Your thoughts...

55 comments:

Erika said...

Prill, I think this is a great blog post. I've thought so much about how people view Africa today. I never realized until I took AP World about what Africa used to be, compared to what it is now. The argument you make with Mogadishu is so unsettling. It was one of the most powerful cities in the world, and now no one even knows where it is, it seems. It kind of reminds me of Timbuktu. Whenever anyone uses that word now, its almost to describe something far away and distant. I hear people all the time say "Oh, I live in Timbuktu"... but it was once one of the greatest centers for learning in the world. It is the same for Mogadishu it seems, it has literally been forgotten by so many. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say that people do not care, you are correct, with everything going on with every day life, people don't take time to think about things that go on in Africa, or any other continent for that matter.

We learned a bit about the situation in US History last year, with some of the US intervention in the early 1990s. I applaud you for posting this. With everything else going on, people overlook this happening in Somalia. BBC always has great "back-story" articles, I guess you could call them, because they bring attention to what people don't know. Thanks for posting this... its certainly disturbing to see the transformation of a once prosperous city.

Prill said...

thanks for commenting old timer. it's great to have alumni pop in here that now have a few years of history under their belts and relaly see the big picture. feel free to comment any time!

jessicafritz said...

This is so sad! I can't believe that even though people know about the situation, they don't seem to care. I have to admit it, I didn't know that Mogadishu was the capital of Somalia until know, but I was aware of some sort of poverty crisis and many other crises were going on in there. I have to say that after reading that, I'm extra thankful for what American Iodl does each year with "Idol Gives Back." Granted, it's not for all of the poverty-stricken countries in Afria, but it does help.
I love this post Mr. Prill. It makes you want to learn more about it. I'm pretty sure that mow I'm going to go on BBC to check out their articles on Somalia on a daily basis to check up on how things are going there. I also love it because it makes us all so much more aware then what we were before (it also makes our financial crisis pale in comparison to what they go through on a daily basis.)

WhitneyWright said...

Wow, I am ashamed to say I was one of those people who didn't know that Mogadishu even existed. I watched some of the video and read some of the articles about the wars that are going on there and I don't really know why I didn't know about this before. This will definatly change my outlook Africa.

TmcC said...

I had never heard of Somolia until I saw the movie Black Hawk Down. You can tell in the first video how prosperous and magnificent Mogadichu was by the notable Islamic architecture in some of the crumbelling buildings now all of which are empty. I knew there was a war going on back in the 90s but I didn't know that it was still going on today.

Lora Persyn said...

This is not just one of the most ignored tradegies right now, but probably the biggest one ever! First a shortage of water and food, then the whole conflict with Ethiopia, and now even the US decided we don't like them! How could an amazing city like Mogadishu be reduced to this?! I don't get it! And didn't his sort of thing happen to China and Rome? Suddenly the silk roads were full of diseases and too many nomadic wars took place. But I don't think their losses were near as bad.Is Mogadishu at the end of thier third generation? How long before it's our turn?

Anonymous said...

Wow, i understood that somalia was a very hostile and dangerous environment to live in but, i did not even consider to think that it was a world power and let alone Mogadishu was a a great city of prosperity and Wealth. But then again that brings up very interesting points. Why doesn't any one help them or send them in the right direction. Isn't that the United Nation's job? And also can we compare present day Somalia to 16th century American colonies, in a sense that they are both just starting to develop? Overall im so surprised that more people haven't posted on this subjecet because it is one that should really be an issue talked about.

Alina said...

the united states has a tendancy to not care about what happens in other countries if that country isn't involved with us to much. the u.s. only cared about what was happening in georgia because of the bitterness that some politicians still hold against the russia. if it doesn't seem to affect the u.s., then we don't care.

Jordyn Farrell said...

This incredibly devastating that actions such as these shape of Africa today and our views of the history of the continent. It is also stunning that the city can go from a powerful and wealthy place to a ghost city. It seems as though the Somalians have sped through the generations of Ibn Khaldun's theory and went straight into collapse. This is a very heart-wrenching post and I am very glad you posted it.

Stucke Family said...

I was also one of those people who didn't know that Mogadishu even existed. It confirms to me how narrow minded people including myself, who live in the United States can be. Its sad to think that this is happening in the world and most people don't know about it. Also, it is extremely disturbing how such a well of city and turn into nothing. I never really new that Africa was once such a prosperous continent until taking this class. I wonder if what is happening to the city of Mogadishu will ever happen to the major cities in the United States

Anonymous said...

i have never heard of mogadishu.but that is sad how they are always in wars and their people always have to deal with that. but reading this article has changed my perspective on africa.

Kaleb Swanda said...

It's a ashame that this is the first time I've ever heard this. People should be more aware of this so that we can tell people about it and so we could help out in some way. It's saddening to learn about this because so many are homeless and starving and dying because of some selfish people who thimk they know what's best. War is not the answer to anything. You have to talk things out. War makes things worse.

xchelseaPEELEx said...

I think Alina is right. the attitude of most americans when it comes to conflicts in the rest of the world tends to be one of apathy, unless it directly affects us, like when the twin towers were bombed. THEN we paid attention to the Iraq war, but now for most people not so much unless you're looking at what the candidates are saying about it. Apathy towards war and violence is common in the US mainly because we've not been put through a real guns-and-death war on our soil since the civil war. Though it is truly terrible that this is being totally ignored by the rest of the world, i can't really say i'm surprised.

lydia huh said...

I would also have to agree with alina. I never even knew that mogadishu even existed. It's so sad how they are still in a war and no one is bothering to help them. This just shows how self centered the united states can be. It was one of the most powerful, wealthy city but no one has even seem to hear the name mogadishu. including me.

Henry A. said...

That's pretty wild that I knew nothing about the state of Mogadishu. The viedos are very inciteful, and kinda devestating. Before this, I knew that Mogadishu existed, but was way off about the conflicts and civils wars going on there.

Anonymous said...

wow what an incredibly sad situation!!! i dont see why people dont take note that fighting is going on there! everybody knows what is happening with iraq and afganistan. and everybody knew what was happening with georgia because they were all over the news but nobody seems to care about somalia! they are fighting against american style government but we take no notice to try and help it to keep it that way. instead we force our government onto other countries like iraq. all the once amazing and thriving cities are now simply ruins because of all the fighting and there is nothing being done to help stop or resolve the situation. it is a very sad situation for all the people who are there who are being displaced from their homes and all the innocent people who are being killed. i am really excited to go to china but in some ways i would rather spend the money for the trip on the somalians who are without so many things that we have that we take for granted everyday.

RachaelGarton said...

I agree with everyone before me, I can't believe that basically everyone (including me) doesn't even know that Mogadishu existed! Its a HUGE eye opener- while all of us Americans are griping and complaining about all of our problems (which ARE important, don't get me wrong), this city is going through all of these other issues. While our problems are scary and serious, their problems are often times dealing with life or death! It makes me appreciate what we have in America. This post opens up my eyes on how I view Africa.

Henry A. said...

Prill, I can't find the Ibn Bantutta docs. Think you can help me find it?

Marc Flick said...

I always knew Somalia was a counrty, but i never would have known that it was in such bad shape unless you had posted this.

Prill said...

mr. acuff, the link is near the beginning of this post.

Henry A. said...

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.



File Type: PDF - Adobe Portable Document Format

File Extension: .pdf

Description: Invented by Adobe Systems and perfected over 15 years, Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) lets you capture and view robust information — from any application, on any computer system — and share it with anyone around the world.

Software or information available at:
Adobe Reader
Adobe Acrobat Family

You may search the following Web site for related software and information:

Windows Live Search
You may purchase or download software related to this file type from the following Web site:

Windows Marketplace

Have questions? See these Frequently Asked Questions.



that is what i keep getting though.

Prill said...

hmm... i don't know, it's opening up fine on mine. you may have to download the latest version of adobe reader. that would be version 9 by the way.

Andi Braemer said...

im kinda having the same problem with opening the documents. but i cant even get it to load the page. and when i do, it shows me the same thing as henry got. which is weird because im pretty sure i have the latest version of adobe readerr...

Prill said...

sorry it won't open for some, but hopefully you're almost done and can clean up what's left tomorrow. you may have to really hit the gas pedal tomorrow, we've got a lot to accomplish.

Leeshah said...

The crisis in Mogadishu is surprising really. I had no idea that this had happened at all. How can the USA ignore a huge crisis. And a sad thing is that all these people are in poverty and nobody seems to care. I can't believe this can be ignored so easily.

Trevor D. said...

Once again, most news sources do not pay much attention to anything that doesn't directly effect the United states. Lack of government, pirates, malnutrition, and we have paid no attention to this. I would bet if an American vessel was overtaken, it would be on the news. If one knew about Mogadishu from post-classical times, it would be hard to predict the situation that exist there today

Ji Young Chung said...

So many people in the world are so selfish including me. I knew of Somalia(that it was in Africa) but i had no idea about mogadishu and its past. Moreover, I never knew that Mogadishu or any other places in Africa had these conflicts like this. THis is horrible I don't think this should be a situation to be taken easily. Why don't we hear about Mogadishu much in the news?(besides BBC i guess)

Abbi Edwards said...

wow, this is really depressing! No one would expect that all that chaos and crazy warfare could be happening in a single country, and the US is or were, involved in this warfare and we still didn't know about it!! I had not even heard about Mogadishu, and after reading this article, there is no way we can ever look at Africa the same. The article states that this insane war is against the Ethiopian government and the insurgents that hate them running their country. It also says that the US is involved, and it's a little scary to me because the insurgents, apparently dislike us as much as they hate their Ethiopian rulers! Im pretty sure that could affect the US in a bad way too! Its just really sad that Somolia is a "failed state", and i don't think that having the US even a little more involved in this would be good. The peacemakers get hurt and killed there also, but i still wish there was more stuff we could do about it,but it's kinda hard when they are murdering all the peace groups.

sally moon said...

wait so somalia is the country and mogadishu is a main city in somalia? sorry, i was kinda confused. and mogadishu today is the same mogadishu that ibn batttutu was describing in the documents we read? im a little confused, but if im understanding this right, it is kinda sad. the way ibn battutu described mogadishu when he went on his trip to the lands of dar-al-islam, it was a very prosperous place. i had no idea that they were going through a crisis today.. why wont more people pay attention to them?

madison archer said...

The only time I had even heard of Somalia and Mogadishu before this class was in the movie Black Hawk Down and I used to watch CNN and Fox news prety regularly. I guess this just shows how America is only concerned with an area as long as we are involved in it, like in the 1990s when we had peacekeeping troops in Somalia,but once it doesn't concern us anymore we almost completely forget about it. It's sad to see once great cities like Mogadishu and Baghdad fall so far from what they once were.

hochanlee said...

This is random post by Hochan who was bored in 3rd period language art class.
Well, Mogadishu is filled with insurgents, this is kind of scary. Was not black hawk dawn was about conflict in somalia? I guess the conflict have still not ended yet. In fact it got worse. Now the shore of the city is filled with pirates. This is scary what can city turn into in 500 years..
I am taking up space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alex bullock said...

I realized that I am one American who did not know about Mogadishu until I took ap this year. It confirms to me how single-minded the United States can be. Its sad to know that the U.S. looks down and doesn't recognize them because they are not "associated" with us. I never knew Africa was so prosperous until now. They used to be a thriving area and now look at it.

Spectre82 said...

As mr. prill knows, ive known about this situation, and how long its been going on. thats because ive done research, also that i love the U.S. military. But im trying to say its sad that people are just now noticing this problem. We shouldnt have gone into Mogadishu, but once we were in there, we should've finished the job, and killed all of the warlords not just one. This problem could've been averted.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! this is so sad! i can't even keep up with goes on in our own country, and i didn't even know Mogadishu existed! i couldn't watch the videos, because my computer is ancient, and as we speak makes odd noises at me... but what i read was really attention grabbing, and it shocks me that its pretty much ignored. all i ever hear about is Iraq, you don't hear about Somalia very often. but wow...this is just........ wow. why doesn't anyone do something about it??

Spectre82 said...

Oh i also wanted to say, if you all want to see a good movie, and shows what Mogadishu was like in 1993, then watch BLACK HAWK DOWN.

Kevin Pett said...

WOw! How did the most powerful city of its time fall into such chaos? Are we going to fall into such chaos?

Nicole Gustafson said...

Wow! Great post.
You know, for this to have been happening for, basically our entire lives, and being as heart-wrenching(as jordyn said), I am suprised at how little I have heard about it. I heard little things here and there, but never REALLY grasped that something huge was going on until Jessica took me to the Fall Out Boy concert last year and they had a video to one of there songs showing children and teenagers fighting in the wars. I started freaking out and looked up some stuff on Africa. Then, suddenly I saw things everywhere about it. I guess I just noticed it because I saw things differently, even if it was there the whole time. I guess we often don't know what is going on until we see it right in front of us.
It's painful and scary to think that everything around us that is so great could suddenly collapse. War and disease break out, everyone we love and know dies... It happened to them, why not us? It gives me chills.
Also, in the video link you posted, Mr. Prill, they showed buildings in passing. They looked as if they had old archetecture? Are some of those the same ones built around where we are in world history? Well, I guess they aren't anymore as most were falling apart.

Anonymous said...

At first I was surprised that United States citizens were not more concerned with the issues in Mogadishu. Then I realized that the other events going on right now have all the attention. The war in Iraq has our military attention and the upcoming election has our political attention, not to mention the economic crisis that is going on right now. I think if this were a regular time in the United States we would be all over this issue because of the animosity of the American public towards Al-Qaeda and I think the people would rally behind the Somalian government in an attempt to counter Middle Eastern terrorist organizations whether there are connections to Al-Qaeda or not.

Anonymous said...

That article is very true in the way that Africa is ignored and overlooked. Maybe it's because Americans and other 1st world countries bubble themselves in their own little world and don't care about anyone else. Despite the fact that thousands of people are getting uprooted from their homes each month?..
I also admit to my lack of knowledge on how prosperous Africa used to be. I had this incredible stereotype about africa based on what is like today. but then I look at all the other countries that aren't the same as they were back then. Like Such as THE Iraq.

Kylie Jayroe said...

Well....i am also one of those people that didnt even know that Mogadishu even was on the map. I read over the articles and watched the clips, and i feel so bad for not even knowing about the troubles happening in Mogadishu. It really breaks my heart to know that one of the greatest cities, has now become a horrible place to be, it is kind of like a ghost town. This is kind of....i guess scary, because after all the talk about how the US is supposedly one of the best centers for government, economics, ect,....yet our economy is falling to the ground, it makes me wonder whether maybe one day, the US will be the next Mogadishu.??????

cori kempshall said...

I think it's crazy that people seem to forget about places such as Mogadishu when it has such historical significance. And yea it makes me mad too that some people don't care about the poverty and financial burdens that are going on in other countries and areas in the world. It really frustrates me but at the same time i dont understand why places like that don't see America and want to make their government like ours; now yes i know its not perfect but im sure with time they could make it work. This post made me realize how thankful i am for the things i have and where i live.

Katelyn Niemann said...

was ur goal on posting this just to make us all feel guilty about not knowing about all this stuf? as previous ppl have said, i used to think timbuktu was a made up place. now i just feel bad!

Anonymous said...

I also was not aware of this war, sadly also being friends with Matt Voicu, the next history teacher. I had thought the biggest cities in Africa were in South Africa, but I was wrong. I will definently have a new perspective of Africa and its cities from now on.

Patrick Mayer said...

sometimes i wish the news didn't focus only on what is going on that directly affects the US and on silly little things like celebrities(yeah that's right i called them silly).Stories like the conflict in Somalia should have been heard throughout the world because this fighting is ridiculous. Al-shabab, Pirates and all of that war in a country that now doesn't even get enough food to feed everyone is ridiculous. But what do we care because we are America and that doesn't affect us. This is what the news groups are saying to me and that is ridiculous. this is a problem, Somalia and the news need to be fixed

Anonymous said...

This is a really unsettling post probaly because what you said about our class not knowing anything about what is happening today in that city is totally true. I had no idea. I went to the "somalia in crisis" website and it said that this is the most ignored tradgy going on right now in the entire WORLD. We need to become more aware of are surroundings if we ever want to survive. i know thats kind of dramatic but... i don't no how else to word what could happen.

Alabaster said...

I think that it is typical, yet horrible, that many Americans can overlook such great conflicts in other countries, and continue on with their lives. Some of our problems could be " Oh no, my cellphone broke, its the end of the world, no more texting, darn!(insert whimper and tear)" when people in Mogadishu can go "Oh no, most of my family was killed in the war." It is just so disgusting when, our everyday problems could be simple, not life changing events, when in areas of Somalia, their problems are from war. The once flourishing city of Mogadishu is now a wasteland, and it is being overlooked by millions of people worldwide...most of whom are oblivious. what an outrage.

Ben Doty said...

Mogadishu has definitely seen its better days. To see a once economically prosperous town suddenly turn into a war-torn country is so sad. Every day the death count keeps climbing with no sign of stopping anytime soon. In the BBC document Mark Doyle summed up the whole situation. Mogadishu is filled with abandoned buildings with windows blown out by gunfire. He also says that most parts of the capital have no people. They are all fleeing due to the insecurity.

MDG said...

It's sad to say that so many, including myself, had no idea about Mogadishu and how horrible of a collapse it has gone through. During the videos, I noticed all the buildings and how they were designed. I didn't expect for Mogadishu to have such high rising buildings for the time period. I understand that they were once an extremely prosperous city, but that's rather advanced for the time period, I'll admit. Pretty impressive. It's so sad that there is such an issue with malnutrition there. Us Americans (No pun intended: U-S Americans, not to be confused with Mexican Americans, ha) complain about getting a cold or having bad allergies, yet over in Somalia in the city of Mogadishu, they're contracting easily preventable diseases mainly because of their malnutrition issues. And we think that we have it bad with the current stock crisis? Eesh.

ian nicely said...

i don't understand how so many Americans can so easily forget about the suffering of anyone in a poor country. Its almost as if to us anyone who doesn't live down the street from a Mcdonald's isn't a human.

Nelson Boland said...

Wow. I've never seen Black Hawk Down so I have barely even heard about Somalia before AP world. It really makes me feel bad that most Americans have no idea about Somalia, seeing as a good percentage can't even find the U.S. on a map. There is so much news coverage on our own problems, but I think an equal amount of time should be devoted to world affairs. Hopefully Mogadishu will become a more stable and safe place to live in, especially with its rich cultural past.

Adam Printz said...

Well this is the first time i found out that this is happening. I had no clue that there were more places like Somalia out there. This just shows how little people know about new outside of the US including me. I dont think that people dont care i just dont think people know about this situation.

Anonymous said...

I did not even know that Mogidishu was a city before being in your class. Im so used to hearing about how Africa is a poor continent and always has been and that is what my view of Africa has always been. I never realized that it was once very powerfull and had cities like Mogidishu. I thought that it had always been mostly filled with poor villages. Also i cant believe that a city that was once so great has been turned into this. Things are terrible there.

cameron green said...

I honestly think is really sad. But i am not gonna act like i had any idead of what The caoital of si=omalia was and where somalia is. the only reason i understand alot of this now is because i am taking this class. but i feel unimformed now, i mean yeah i totally knew there were issues in africa right now but i had no idad it was like this...

P.S. africa makes the us crisis look like a walk in the park...

The Odyssey said...

yeah well i feel dumb cuz i never even knew that mogidishu existed, i probably cant even spell it right. but i read some articles bout wars ocver there and yeah i really have a different perspective on Africa now

Lora Persyn said...

Mr. Prill,
It has come to the attention of Ms. Jennings, Ms. Persyn, and Ms. Patel that "Alumni" is plural. Erika is obviously one girl, so you should say the singular feminine form "Alumna". Pay attention to your Latin Prill!
From us Latin nerds