Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When Baseball and Politics Collide...

I'm sorry I couldn't resist this when I read it. Since this is a world history class, maybe it's only appropriate that I mention that baseball's World Series begins tonight at 8pm on FOX. Of course, if you are a baseball fan like myself, you know the term "World Series" is misleading, since it's only American teams that compete, but whatever, it's broadcast around the world, and of course players from around the world play baseball here in the states. At any rate, also because this is a world history class, we have been following the elections rather closely in class and here on the blog. That being said, I couldn't help but be amused by the following news story when I read it this evening. Yes folks, sometimes American politics can collide with the America's pastime. Today, John McCain and Barack Obama are talking baseball on the campaign trail. You can read this story by clicking here. This is just a little bit of fun for your Wednesday evening. I've been a Red Sox fan since I was a little boy growing up in New England, so I'm a bit disillusioned right now. However, as long as it's not the Yankees involved, I'll support the AL East, so go Rays! And by the way, all the best of success on the DBQ tomorrow guys!

32 comments:

Dant said...

hahahahaha. Why would these guys be at eachothers' throats over something like this? I love the way it says that John McCain ACUSED Obama. This just shows how ruthless our politicians can be. Funny stuff.

skyler said...

i think this is just p natural part of the election process..
a chance to make a bad point against the other party is taken in with open arms.
if these were normal everyday people(aka not in the light of the media)
then nobody would think twice about obama rooting for two teams.
all just election sluff

Theresa Dang said...

lol. i don't like baseball at all but i find it kinda funny when two people that are going head to head in the 2008 presidential election, are also adding some baseball into it. My favorite part was when Mccain pointed out that Obama would root for the team of that state he is currently located in. I guess he is trying to say that Obama is a hypocrite or something indirectly. haha.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Um That reminds me of the time when John Kerry incorporated sports into one of his speeches. I think it can be a good at times. If you use it too much people will think u'r not loyal because u'r always rooting for a different team every city on the campaign trail. But Mccain really got on Obama for this as you see in one of his quotes... BRUTAL.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never thought that sports could be dragged into politics like this. McCain does have a point in comparing Obama's swing in team support to swings that politicians sometimes make on important issues, but I'm not sure exactly how much this really has to do with anything. The thing that makes me mad is people like Obama who change who they cheer for based on the people they are around. And I'm tired of people all of a sudden becoming fans of a team when they start doing good. I think all fans should be die-hard fans who pick one team and stay with them in the good and the bad. For example, you can't be both a Georgia fan and a Tech fan last year when the Packers started doing good again suddenly the Green Bay shirts started showing up.

Ji Young Chung said...

I don't know if this is a good idea because now people know that Obama is changing his words at differect states cheering for different teams. Wouldn't people understand that he is just saying that to support his election? Did John McCain support any other teams besides the Arizona Diamondbacks? Okay, last question, Does Obama hate McCain like McCain hates Obama? I have so many questions!

cori kempshall said...

Wow, I never thought that the presidential canidates could compare their views of politics to baseball. Can't they just stop bashing one another and settle down already??? As many people know, I am very passionate about politics, and I have to say, I loved how McCain said that Obama supports Phillie at the Phillie game and Tampa at the tampa game and always changes his mind to please everyone, because thats exactly what he's doing now. He's telling everyone he's going to vote against taxes and then once he gets into office he'll vote to raise them. Once again, just my oppinion.

sally moon said...

well that was an interesting article.. i dont know anything at all about baseball, but its kinda funny and kinda weird that obama is being "acused" of rooting for two teams.. uh so what? i mean you cant expect him to just be rude and put down other teams, when hes running for president, just because thats not his favorite team. he couldve just gone to a game and rooted for them, even though they arent his favorite team.. haha wow, this is really funny

Anonymous said...

Why does McCain care?..haha, i mean really?.. but i guess its just a kind of whatever it takes kind of deal at this point for McCain. Who knows but that is pretty ridiculous about him being "accused." Like its some horrid thing that the possible next President of the United States is supporting two teams, Oh NO!!.. ahhaha

Kylie Jayroe said...

Wow...just because you are "president" or fixing to become "president", does not mean that you are not allowed to have a life....I mean jeez let the men have some fun and just enjoy some good ol American baseball...who cares if you are for more than one team....i mean even if Obama is for more than one team for campaigning reasons....that is just being smart....we would all do the same thing if we were running for president, just to get our votes in!!!!...you know it to! :)

Taylor Hammond said...

WOW i really can't believe that with the elections coming up soon that McCain is worried about Obama rooting for both teams in the world series. He must have nothing bad to say about him so he deciedes to make up this dumb argument. Politics confuse me!!

alex bullock said...

wow is all i have to say. ha. baseball in the presidential election. just think that one of these guys will be our president. to the average guy sports are important but if you are in a presidential election that wouldnt be top on my list to bring up. John McCain took a chance to "shot down" Obama and picked a weird topic but at least he tried.....right???

Lora Persyn said...

Well that was dumb. Forget about the economic and energy crisis, Forget about the election! Let's go watch a baseball game!

Forget 100 years of civil war, forget about angry nomads and the corrupted senate! We've got Gladiator fights to watch!

Makes a good news story though.

Vanessa J said...

of course lora! why would you worry about the senate when you can watch people kill each other! (kidding) this article is interesting.... but if i were running for president (haha) sports would be a good way to get a certain group to vote for me!

oh, and i'd like to read one interview wher mccain DOESNT attack obama and actually says something useful... (no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise!)

Nelson Boland said...

LOL!!! I guess McCain can't even talk about baseball without attacking Obama. Obama is just tring to bring people together, but he still supports a sports team. McCain has resorted to attacking Obama's personal sports preferences instead of talking about his campaign. Interesting...

Lora Persyn said...

Oh please!
As if Obama has anything useful to say! Pretty words that don't say anything, that's all he is.

Kaleb Swanda said...

I think this is pretty inrtesting that the canidates are using baseball to win over states. In my personal opinion pleasure should stay out of politics. I'm not trying to say don't have fun with running for president but try not to use certin teams in a league to endorse you.

Lora Persyn said...

Thank you Kaleb.

Thought said...

Actually Mr. Prill, if I may add before-hand. America's is "the melting pot of the world," because of our diverse ethnicities, and baseball is the American pasttime, AND it's being discussed on an AP WORLD History blogsite, AND(uber emphasis) since it's entertwining with a political affair that is being watched worldwide...Wouldn't you agree the title is a bit fitting for this one? Just an observation...(I'm kinda joking around but I refuse to type lol...)
Disregard the I just did type it...

Thought said...

Truly at first when McCain said that he was accusing Obama of rooting for both teams, I thought he was being a little childish, then when I noticed he was using it to make a reference to his "pattern" I thought it was just another campaign attack strategy that he frequently throws out there. Not that Obama hasn't had his fair share of attacks on McCain, but lately McCain has been attacking Obama more frequently than usual.
Luckily for McCain he managed to regain his image in the eyes of the media with that joke about his campaign manager...very nice, but still being a bit immature, as McCain has been attacking Obama lately about his ideas on taxes, hoping he'll lose votes, when what I think he should be doing is providing the people with reasons why he isn't as much a "Conservative" as people think he is, instead of telling people Obama is untrustworthy, or "can't decide on his plan for taxes." Honestly, we've all heard it before...

Marc Flick said...

I think it's a smart campaign move for Obama to support both teams, but it also shows that he could care less about who wins. Rays win in 6.

Prill said...

well the rays are up against a must win situation tonight. you don't want to be down 2-0 going to filthadelphia. right now so far so good for them, they're up 4-0. could be tied 1-1 going to philly, but still a lot of baseball left to play in this one.

Mr.Curtis said...

Rays took game 2; wonder how the outcome of this series is going to effect the elections.

Prill said...

funny

Kailey Carroll said...

wow.
i think it is sad that our presidential candidate race has come down to them accusing each other of what baseball team they would root for. this is stupid! what does that have to do with anything!? nobody really cares!

xchelseaPEELEx said...

that's pretty funny. Who even cares if someone supports whichever team is winning? it's what most voters do. i also think its pretty funny, and somewhat sad, that people would rather watch baseball thatn the candidates. i guess entertainment is more important to americans than the country's future.

michelledemaris said...

I mean this is a tight presidental debate, but because people are intereseted, the meia is going way over the top, reporting stories that really don't have any meaning. This does show Obama's tend to please the crowd, no matter what the issue is, he is just a people pleaser. And if u want to be the president of the United States, you should probably start learing that you cant please everyone.

Kevin_Shin said...

haha how did sports get involved with politics? its pretty amusing to see mcCain critize Obama politically and the team he cheers for lol

Anonymous said...

yes, a decently creative tie-in by mccain by relating obama's indecisiveness over taxes with his inability to choose a team to root for, however, to "accuse" him seems a little over-the-top. unfortunately for mccain, i think he is seeing the reality of his situation now with a week and a half of campaigning left and obama's poll numbers rising. i think he's looking for any way possible to cut obama down. however, i totally agree with michelle and coty that obama is just being a people-pleaser and he needs to either stick with his white sox or pick ONE team to root for, not both.

btw, i bet on the rays. not sure in how many games, but the phillies offense is not going to be able to out-weigh their lack of shut-down pitching... JMO :)

Alexandra Kaye said...

It could be a good and bad thing that Obama supports both teams. Good because he could win the support of both teams and their supporters, but at the same time, it could backfire. If and when the teams and fans find out what he really thinks, they could see him as impartial enough to pretend to like both teams, which he may really like both. How would we ever know?Some people would let this issuse persuade their voting so it could be a good and bad thing for Obama.

AnnaLeigh Easterling said...

with Obama supporting both teams that shows that he is either just saying that because he wants more votes or he really doesn't care about either team and is proving that he cannot be trusted.

David Recchia said...

Is McCain really that desperate to get votes. Leave the sport teams out of it! lol

-David Recchia